Views
Helpful
Replies

Help! can't see Cisco wireless ap's

keenan2621
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

There is a Cisco setup here at the school iv just started working at that was set up some years ago. The password for the wireless is 63 digits as you can imagine this is a right pain when having to type it in on mobile devices. So I decided I wanted to change it to something a bit shorter. As I later discovered I couldn't seem to see any of the AP's? I have used various network scanning tools (none Cisco because I need to be some sort of partner to download any software???) but none of the scans show these AP's. I've also tried arp -a and noted down the mac but nothing shows up. I am connected to the wireless fine but I really need to get on to them all and change the passwords. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's going to suck if no one has documentation on how these are set up. Depending on the AP model, you may have a console port on them and should be able to console in to get the address. Do you have a flat network or do you have vlans? If you have vlans, have you scanned all ranges across all vlans? How are you trying to find them? You could use nmap and scan for port 23 and then start from there. If you're able to get connected to the wireless, obviously wireless works if you're able to pass traffic and I can assure you that they respond to pings, etc.

HTH,

John

Please rate useful posts...

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John thanks for your reply!

We have no docs here unfortunately and have no vlans. I have used angry ip scanner etc to try an find them and scanned it on both subnets. Iv had a look at nmap but it seems to want a host name or ip destination before scanning??

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

keenan2621
Level 1
Level 1

dselfridge
Level 1
Level 1

IF you can get access to the switches and IF they are Cisco switches, try issuing the command (in Enable mode) 'Show cdp Neighbors detail' This should show what AP's if any are connected to each switch and give you their IP address. You can then Telnet or web browse to them if you know the correct Credentials. (Default is U/N Cisco P/W Cisco).

HTH

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco