cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help setting up Cisco Aironet 700 series AP's

Fmshine21
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I apologize in advance if this is long, I want to make sure I am well explained. Also thank you in advance for the help!

**DISCLAIMER**

I have been doing a ton of reading and have read most of the user's guide, I do not ask this much help before doing my part...but the user's guide to my AP's seems to skip the part about getting the AP to throw a signal in the first place. It gives plenty of info on how to get it's IP and connect to the GUI of it, but seems to assume you can connect to the AP and nut just he main router. 

I promised my father I would help re-do the wireless in the house. I am in IT but I am not very experienced in networking and considered it a learning opportunity. I originally was going to go with a different product due to having clear instructions on how to set them up, but my fathers business partner convince him to buy Cisco Aironet series- which I hear are great! I am just now having some trouble.

Equipment we have:

3 AIR-SAP702I-A-K9 units, they were advertised as standalone/autonomous (NEW-having trouble getting on the GUI or getting them working at all )

1 Linksys Wired RSV4000 Security Router (3+ years old, may need replacing) 

We have the RSV4000 plugged into the Modem, and plan to have the three access points plugged into the router shooting wireless signals to different parts of the house. It is a large house so there should be some, but very little, overlap in the wireless networks.

This router (RSV4000) is a used router that I couldn't access the GUI as no one knew the set passwords. I factory reset it a few times until I could access GUI but it still retains the old network name, not sure why that is.

First Question: When I plug directly into my modem with an ethernet chord to the laptop my speeds on speedtest.net are upwards of 60mbit download. When I connect the router, then hard wire my laptop to the router speeds drop to 20mbits download. Is this probably due to the router being old and me needing to replace it? (which I can surely do if necessary)

Besides possibly needing to replace this router- I am having general confusion with these Access points(Aironet 700 series, model # is above). How do I access the GUI? Other standalone access points I have worked with (Linksys WAP4410n) when plugged in immediately show an unregistered network called "Linksys" which I then can then set up.

Second Question: What am I doing wrong to be able to get this AP to throw a signal from my router? Is there something that needs to be configured that I am missing? Also shouldn't I have a GUI that I can access for these AP's separate from the RSV4000's GUI (which I can already connect to)? Or is there something I need to set/connect in the RSV4000 GUI I am missing?

I read somewhere on a random forum someone said sometimes Autonomous/Standalone AP's come in Console mode and need a server wire to configure and turn on autonomous mode- is there any truth to this? Is that why I cannot seem to interact with them at all?

Thanks you guys so much for the help- I am so sorry that was so long but I really am having trouble and want to learn how to set up networks like this. I would really appreciate the help anyone could give me.

0 Replies 0