Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with designing a network: 3 WANS, Multiple WiFi and LAN Clients

shayanakbar94
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I currently have the following setup: 3 WANS terminated as Ethernet from my provider. They have their own routers installed which I can get removed but for now that's how the termination is being done.

What setup would be a favorable one for me owing to the following points:

1. I want a central interface router where I can assign WANs to the LAN clients connected to the router. (e.g. Switch Port 1-2 gets routed to WAN 1, etc.)
  2. I optionally want to setup a load balancer between the three WANs with my own priority.

My WANs are 30 Mb/s each.

1 Reply 1

MichaelMcCoy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello shayanakbar94,

I'm sure you're going to get much more qualified people here very soon to chime in, but your situation (at least to me seems fairly complex)

First I would look into PVST.  Per vlan spanning tree.  If my understanding is correct, with PVST would then be able to navigate your traffic per VLAN, maybe not per port as you stated in your original post, but you will be able to do it per VLAN.

As far as a load balancer I'm sure there are devices that you can purchase, but if you set up equal cost gateways the traffic should load balance.  Also if you set up PVST, load balancing happens by the VLAN.  SO VLAN 1 for instance will always take WAN 1, the issue here is that if/when WAN 1 fails, VLAN 1 may not know how to get to the internet.  

Hope this helps you get started.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: