Helpful
Replies

Help with SG110-16HP 16 Port Gigabit PoE Switch

CPKR
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I am a novice network person who needs a little advice please

At home I have a SG110-16HP 16 Port Gigabit PoE Switch that connects to various LAN sockets around my home

The PoE sockets are used to connect directly to 3 access points (Ubiquiti) and two CCTV cameras. Al of this works fine.

But I am now trying to add an extra access point in my lounge, and my problem has begun.

I have purchased a Netgear GS308P PoE unmanaged switch and have plugged that into one of my LAN sockets, thinking that I could then plug my new PoE access point into one of the PoE ports.

For some reason the Netgear GS308P switch will not connect to the LAN socket. Previously I had a non-PoE network switch in exactly the same place and that works fine. (I couldn't use the old switch for my new access point as it did not have PoE)

Being a novice I figure I am missing something obvious. Please can someone put me out of my misery.

My complete setup at home is:

BT Home Hub Router. (Wi-Fi Turned off)
LAN lead goes from the BT router to a Cisco SG110-16HP 16 Port Gigabit PoE Switch
LAN leads go from the Cisco switch to various LAN sockets around the house and the PoE sockets feed my existing 3 x AC-PRO access points.
From one of the sockets where I need to place the new AC-PRO I had a Netgear GS105 unmanaged switch. I have replaced this with a Netgear GS308P PoE unmanaged switch
When I plug the AC-PRO into one of the PoE ports on the new GS308P the AC-PRO lights up and eventually goes blue. But I have no internet connection.
I have double checked that the LAN socket works, which it does. I have plugged my old GS105 back in and all connections work fine.

I’m sure I am not understanding some sort of switch protocol? Is it possible that a PoE switch cannot be used downstream from another PoE switch

Many thanks All

Craig

0 Replies 0