cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hidden system mode layer 2 and 3 button in administration>system settings on web GUI

I am having trouble setting my cisco switch sg350 to layer 3 mode as I cannot find the buttons shown in the image below. 

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check whether the switch run an image which supports L3. and or in this case, install the latest firmware and try again

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I am having the exact same problem.  There doesn't seem to be a way to configure the switch into "router" mode (Layer 3). There is a way to go into VLAN Management/Interface Settings and adjust each interface one at a time to Switchport Mode: Layer 3, but I can't figure out how to get a device connected to that port to route to the internet.

This was asked before, but there really wasn't an answer: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13207486/cannot-find-system-mode-administration-system-settings-sg-350-28p-managed-switch

any help appreciated

e.int.brewer
Level 1
Level 1

@claude.wahrenberger wrote:

I am having trouble setting my cisco switch sg350 to layer 3 mode as I cannot find the buttons shown in the image below. 

I was able to set things up as follows. It doesn't seems like the SG350 has a global routing mode, but I did get things to work.

VLAN1:
  • VLAN1 is created by default
  • VLAN Management: Assign GEx1, GEx2, ..., GExN ports to VLAN1 with GEx switchport mode configured as layer 2
  • Make sure that connection to router is via an assigned port in VLAN1. The connection to the router could be made to a port in another VLAN, but that would have to configured separately
  • IP configuration: Set IP address/mask = 192.168.2.110 255.255.255.0 (this is IP address assigned to switch by router)
  • IP configuration: Create DHCP network pool = 192.168.2.x to 192.168.2.y with mask 255.255.255.0
  • Make sure devices attached to VLAN1 ports are set to get IP address automatically from DHCP server and have gateway address of 192.168.2.110

VLAN3:
  • VLAN Management: Create VLAN3 (of course, this VLAN number can be whatever is desired)
  • VLAN Management: Assign GEx1, GEx2, ..., GExN ports to VLAN3 with GEx switchport mode configured as layer 2
  • IP configuration: Set IP address/mask = 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0 (of course this can be whatever is desired)
  • IP configuration: Create DHCP network pool = 192.168.3.x to 192.168.3.y with mask 255.255.255.0
  • Make sure devices attached to VLAN3 ports are set to get IP address automatically from DHCP server and have gateway address of 192.168.3.1
Create more VLANs as desired

Set default route on Switch:
  • IP configuration: Set static route = 0.0.0.0 with mask 0.0.0.0 (destination) and 192.168.2.1 (next hop router)
  • IP configuration: The static route with destination of 0.0.0.0 automatically configured outgoing interface to use VLAN1
  • This allows outgoing internet access through router for both VLANs
  • Incoming internet access already exists for VLAN1

Set static route on Router for VLAN3:
  • Set static route = 192.168.3.0 with mask 255.255.255.0 (destination) and 192.168.2.110 (next hop)
  • This allows incoming internet access for VLAN3
Devices on different VLANs can ping and communicate with each other by default and also can access the internet.

This is correct, on the SG350 series switches the “System Mode” setting previously used to change the switch to L3 mode does not exist. At all.

According to Cisco support, the switch comes in L3 mode out of the box, and can’t be changed to L2.

The settings under VLAN Management/Interface Settings, which allow you to set each individual port to either L2 or L3, is a red herring and an entirely different feature. If you set the switchport mode to Layer 3 for an individual port, then you can’t access the network on that port, unless you assign that port its own IP address.

Why Cisco does not make this info more easily available and understandable is anyone's guess.

@gta wrote:

This is correct, on the SG350 series switches the “System Mode” setting previously used to change the switch to L3 mode does not exist. At all.

According to Cisco support, the switch comes in L3 mode out of the box, and can’t be changed to L2.

The settings under VLAN Management/Interface Settings, which allow you to set each individual port to either L2 or L3, is a red herring and an entirely different feature. If you set the switchport mode to Layer 3 for an individual port, then you can’t access the network on that port, unless you assign that port its own IP address.

Why Cisco does not make this info more easily available and understandable is anyone's guess.

Excellent input. I understand this now.  Thanks.

HI, buddy did you really try these setting on SG350 and made it work? It dosnt work for me.