cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I Migrate Prime from OVA to hardware appliance?

thenetstatman
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any documents on the process of migrating off the Prime OVA and onto a prime Appliance?

We have found our OVA prime instance is dog slow and have purchased a hardware appliance to speed things up. 
I can't seem to find any documents on the process of replacing the OVA with a Hardware Appliance, 

Does anyone else know of a document? 

Thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tmathews01
Level 1
Level 1

I don't believe that there is a migration strategy for this like v2p if that's what you are after.  I would follow the procedure for Backup and Restore of PI.  This is found in the Administrator Guide for your version.  I have used this without data loss several times.  You would always have the ability to spin up your "dog" slow virtual instance back up should there be a problem with the restore or new physical box which should take some of the pressure off.

Here is good advice in a snip from the 3.1 admin guide:

Using Backup and Restore to Replace Servers

If you must replace your virtual or physical appliance due to hardware failure, you can do so without losing your data, by restoring your most recent backup to a newly installed Prime Infrastructure server. However, if you do this, be sure that the new server is at the same version and patch level as the old server before you restore your data from the backup.

For example: You are running Prime Infrastructure 3.1 on a virtual appliance. You have applied two UBF patches since installation, and are taking regular backups. The virtual appliance hardware suddenly fails and must be replaced. You have a recent application backup, so you will want to install a new 3.1 server and then restore your data from the backup. Before performing the restore, make sure that you have applied to your newly installed server both of the UBF patches that you applied to the old server.

While they are lengthy documents, the Quick Start Guide and The Administrator Guide should get you there.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

tmathews01
Level 1
Level 1

I don't believe that there is a migration strategy for this like v2p if that's what you are after.  I would follow the procedure for Backup and Restore of PI.  This is found in the Administrator Guide for your version.  I have used this without data loss several times.  You would always have the ability to spin up your "dog" slow virtual instance back up should there be a problem with the restore or new physical box which should take some of the pressure off.

Here is good advice in a snip from the 3.1 admin guide:

Using Backup and Restore to Replace Servers

If you must replace your virtual or physical appliance due to hardware failure, you can do so without losing your data, by restoring your most recent backup to a newly installed Prime Infrastructure server. However, if you do this, be sure that the new server is at the same version and patch level as the old server before you restore your data from the backup.

For example: You are running Prime Infrastructure 3.1 on a virtual appliance. You have applied two UBF patches since installation, and are taking regular backups. The virtual appliance hardware suddenly fails and must be replaced. You have a recent application backup, so you will want to install a new 3.1 server and then restore your data from the backup. Before performing the restore, make sure that you have applied to your newly installed server both of the UBF patches that you applied to the old server.

While they are lengthy documents, the Quick Start Guide and The Administrator Guide should get you there.

Hope this helps.

Hi it sounds like you are correct. I spoke with TAC and they basically said the same thing. 

1-Can you restore a backup of a vm on a physical appliance?:

Yes you can if the physical appliance have more resources.

2-What happen with the licenses?:

You need to contact cisco licensing in case it doesn't work since the serial number may change.

3-The backup will have the same ip configuration?:

Yes so you need to turn the VM off as soon as you restore the device.

4- Will the back up work from an older version to a newer version?:

Yes this will work fine.

Thanks for the help!