cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to check whether a cisco device or version of IOS is in support?

Yermander
Level 1
Level 1

I want to upgrade a 2612 due to the version of code it's running being flagged as vulnerable by our vulnerability scanning. However, I am guessing, seeing that the last version of code released for the 2612 was in 2007 that it is probably out of support? Is there anyway or anywhere on the cisco site I can visit to see if a product or version of IOS is out of support.

Does the 2612 being out of support mean that any question of a version of IOS running on it is moot? If a platform is out of support thereby any version of code running on it is out out of support also?

Thanks for any help in advance.

3 Replies 3

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Usually each product comes with End-of-Life and End-of-Support page with its launch to market and you can check these EOS/EOL document.

For example you can check here for 2612 here :

EOS/EOL for 2612

End-of-Sale Announcement for the Cisco 2600

For other IOS releases or Product information, you can simply google for EOS/EOL of that perticular product.

-Thanks

Vinod 

**Encourage Contributor. RATE them**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Thanks Vinod,

Can I ask though, does the 2612 being out of support mean that any question of a version of IOS running on it is moot? If a platform is out of support thereby any version of code running on it is out out of support also?

When a hardware product's EoS (End of Sales) announcement is made, Cisco's standard policy is that they will also include an End of Engineering date. That's usually 1-2 years after the hardware is last sold. After end-of-engineering, there will be no further software updates, even to address newly identified vulnerabilities.

End-of-support (sometimes referred to as end-of-life) is typically five years after end-of-sales. During that "twilight" period you can receive hardware replacement and TAC assistance (if you have a support contract) that may help you mitigate vulnerabilities in ways other than upgrading the code.

In any case the 2612 router is running on borrowed time. You can't put current IOS on it and you can't get Cisco support for it. It has little to no residual monetary value and should be replaced if having current code with patched vulnerabilities and support is important in your environment.