cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to export syslog in "raw text"

Tod Larson
Level 3
Level 3

I have customer who wants to receive all syslog from all routers and switches but is not willing to accept it in a syslog server.  He wants it in raw text format prior to any syslog server.  Clear a solution is to ssh into every device periodically and capture the output of the syslog buffe to a text file but that would be labor intensive/prohibitive and not guarantee to catch all syslog if the device is really spitting out lost messages (this solution is just not practical).  The customer is worried about the integrity of the messaging if it has been processed through a syslog server.

Is there a way to ios/nxos to send syslog to a cifs share or to an ftp server or something and have it append to a text file sitting on that cifs/ftp server? Any hack or cutsie way to make it work is acceptable.

4 Replies 4

Hi,

Install a simple free Syslog Server.

The Log will be stored in a Text file (you can find it easily).

Best Regards

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As suggetsd by Cuong ,Try KiwiSyslog Server . It's a free software

Thanks-

Afroz

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Tod Larson
Level 3
Level 3

I guess that confirms my thought that what he's asking for is not possible with IOS.  The closest I can do is something like kiwi.

thank you.

Hi Tod ,

yes you are right ,it can only be possible via a Tool or software..

Thanks-

Afroz

[Do rate the useful post]

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****