cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to identify end host

Puhovpeter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. I'd like to know,ho can i identify the end device in CW. For example,i have some kinds of end devices(PCs,Printers,Hubs and etc). Sometimes i know its IP,but sometimes only MAC. Using other programs and knowing IP i can scan this type of device,but i want to know,how can i identify devices using only CW.Thanks all.

3 Replies 3

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

For this I use the usertracking report. Many of my customer use it.

I add IP or MAC address and usually I get all the info I need.

MAC IP hostname, switchport where it is connected, associated vlan, last seen, etc

If your network has a mix of cisco and other equipment or if you don't manage all equipment things get a bit harder

If ciscoworks doesn't manage the endhost's default gateway  it will not know be able to make the link to an IP address. If it doesn't manage the switch the switchport and vlan info is not available.

I also use OUI table a lot to get an idea of what I'm looking for

http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/oui.txt

I'd really wish cisco would use this in their user tracking report in a way so that you can switch between the full MAC or the vendor part.

Cheers,

Michel

Thanks for reply,but the question is still:How can i identify end device.Is it PC or Printer or Hub. When i using  OUI table i just can see what the vendor it is,but i don't know what the kind of device.When i have IP,i can use,for example,NMAP and if i dont have IP-i cant see what the device i have. I think CW cant solve this problem

As said if ciscoworks doesn't manage the default gateway of the device it will no be able to map to mac to an IP address.

If there are no network devices available to provide this information then indeed ciscowork will not find out for you.

Cheers,

Michel