Views
Helpful
Replies

How to: Netflow on a L3 Switch WS-C3560X-48P

Benjamin Lehner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I want to use netflow on our l3 switches. But my configurations dont work.

What is my mistake? 

Modell: WS-C3560X-48P

Software Version: 15.0(1)SE3

My Config:

interface vlan 250

ip flow monitor Monitor-FNF input
 ip flow monitor Monitor-FNF output

flow record Record-FNF
 description Flexible NetFlow with NBAR Flow Record
 match ipv4 tos
 match ipv4 protocol
 match ipv4 source address
 match ipv4 destination address
 match transport source-port
 match transport destination-port
 collect routing next-hop address ipv4
 collect transport tcp flags
 collect interface output
 collect counter bytes
 collect counter packets

flow exporter Export-FNF
 description DescriptionTEXT
 destination [NetFlow collector IP address]
 source vlan50
 transport udp 9001
 export-protocol netflow-v9

flow monitor Monitor-FNF
 description FNF/NBAR Application Traffic Analysis
 record Record-FNF
 exporter Export-FNF
 cache timeout active 60
 cache timeout inactive 10

6 Replies 6

schaef350
Level 1
Level 1

Silly question but do you have a network services module installed? 

From the documentation: "Flexible NetFlow is supported only on the Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X switch running the IP base or IP services feature set and equipped with the network services module. It is not supported on switches running the NPE or the LAN base image."

It actually also mentions: "NetFlow analysis is performed on traffic crossing the physical interfaces on the network services module." 

Sourced from here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/15-0_1_se/configuration/guide/3750xcg/swmnetflow.html

- Be sure to rate all helpful posts

Hi,

no, there is no network services module installed.

I tried to configure netflow with classic syntax and it also dont work

ip flow-cache timeout active 5
ip flow-export source Vlan50
ip flow-export version 9
ip flow-export destination [ip] [port]

interface vlan 250
ip flow ingress

Is it possibly to configure netflow for vlan interfaces?

If not: How could I collect netflow data on Switches?

Most Cisco switches have either poor or no Netflow support. The newer 2900 series models and 3650/3850 are adding in some better support due to the type of ASICs they use but the preferred platform for Netflow is either a router, an ASA or a high-end switch such as a 6500 series.

As the earlier poster indicated, the 3750-X and 3560-X require the Service module to export Netflow records at all.

Ok, thank you

I thought if a command is possible to enter in the config - it is supported... :-/

So, general question: do you know another possibilities to monitore traffic on switches? (I cannot use mirror ports)

We typically monitor interface utilization as necessary (for instance certain server ports, uplinks between access and core/distribution layers, WAN links, etc.) on a switch using any general purpose SNMP management tool (CACTI open source, What's Up Gold, SolarWinds NPM, Cisco Prime Infrastructure etc.). ifInOctets and ifOutOctets are the most commonly used statistics.

Mostly we don't look at individual user ports across an enterprise because it's too much data for most organizations to use effectively.

Interface monitoring doesn't give you the level of visibility that Netflow does but there are usually places in the network where we can instrument Netflow and extract useful information from there.

schaef350
Level 1
Level 1

If you would really like to see flow data you could mirror the switchport to a third party netflow probe.  NTOP offers something for this and its open source.  Check it out here: http://www.ntop.org/products/nprobe

- Be sure to rate all helpful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: