cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to prepare for core switch disaster?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

im responsible for a big network but the thing is i try to take as much as backup information incase something happens

, what are things beside the usual show run that can be invaluable when the device goes down? i try my best with the following:

-show run

-show cdp n

-show cdp n d

-show interface status

-show ip route

-show vtp status

-show vtp password

4 Replies 4

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

I guess it depends on your environment and what is critical. 

I would add routing protocol neighbors, sh int bri and sh mac address-table to your list.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
sh log
dir

in addition to the others i would add

- if the device has a removable flash/usb-module, periodically copy the complete flash
   when the device needs to be replaced, you only need to insert the backup flash and connect cables

- show version
  (include license information)

- show vlan 

- show inventory (lin-cards, SFP's, other modules)

- attach labels to cables connected to the core,
   so when the device is swapped, all cables can easily be connected to the same ports

document to a file/diagram !!!!!

- automate a backup of your configuratiom files e.g. on a ftp-server (startup-config, van.dat)

document WHY specific configuration is present!

anyone can add to this?

any information you wished you backed up before the calamity struck? information that would have saved you hours of getting the network back up and running?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: