Views
Helpful
Replies

How to read logrot syslog.log files or backup file

raza555
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

My syslog files get large quickly, so I logrot them when reach 1000MB. How I can read the large logrot syslog files or is it possible to run a report from logrot file in RME->Reports->Reports Generator

I am using the LMS:3.2; RME:4.3.0

Kind Regards

5 Replies 5

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Logrot files are saved as a flat compressed file at the configured directory for logrot and hence can be read easily through any Text editor.

For Large file there are free Text-editors online capable of reading Large files, like Notepad++ or Editplus.

For more details on syslog, please see my following document :

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Network_Management_Configuration_Example_for_Ciscoworks_LMS_Syslog_Configuration_via_GUI

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Thanks for reply,

MY syslog.log file is 2.65GB and its not opening in the notepad++ & Texteditor. Is possible or search a file in some other way.

OR can I replace the logroted Syslog.log file saved in e: drive with original Syslog.log file saved in CiscoWorks default directory and then read it in RME reports.

Please update me urgently as I need to read the logs in the file.

Not sure what you are trying to check on the log file. The Syslog messages should be in NMSROOT/database/rmeng/syslog*.db database's and should come in the report.

If you are racking something out of report in file, these text editors should do the job.

2+ gb is fine for Notepad++.

Try Notepad2 as it can open sixe till 4+ gb as well.

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Thanks again for reply, I am able to open the file via EmEditor.

When I have opened the file, it 99.9% contain only information about interface Up/ Down. CiscoWorks contain about 3500 devices and few core switches routes ospf are changed from 07:00 on 10/02/2011, want to know that what makes routes changed.

EmEditor worked for me. It also allows you to search through gigabytes of log (text) files in seconds using the Find in Files feature.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: