Views
Helpful
Replies

Huge Backup File

riko.arizona
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have LMS 3.0.1, running on Windows systems. Backup process failed since June 2010. Backup file on June was 15 GB only.
When I try to running backup immediately, it said that "Insufficient disk space on backup destination volume. Backup failed bacause it needs space about 73 GB. 
From dbbackup.log, I can see what kind of files that will be backup by LMS and The size should be only 40 GB.
Directory CSCOpx\log is only 12,9 GB
Directory CSCOpx\files\rme\syslog is about 27.9 GB
What kind of file that makes my backup file become 73 GB?
is it normal for the backup file size until 73 GB?

Thanks..

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It all depends on the purging schedules of your LMS jobs. One possible source of huge disk space consumption is CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/difffiles.

View solution in original post

shmcguir
Level 1
Level 1

An lms backup normally requires approximately twice the amount of space as the amount of data that needs to be backed up. So what you are seeing is normal.

The thing you will need to do will be to try and reduce the amount of data that needs to be included in the back up. The best way of doing that is to create purge jobs for information you don't need.

Areas you should consider purging:

Change Audit and Archive Management.

Syslog.

The syslog would be the most important one here as it is taking such a large amount of space on your server.

You can configure/modify the purge settings from RME -> Administration. Under Change Audit, Archive  Management and Syslog.

Cheers,

Shane

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It all depends on the purging schedules of your LMS jobs. One possible source of huge disk space consumption is CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/difffiles.

shmcguir
Level 1
Level 1

An lms backup normally requires approximately twice the amount of space as the amount of data that needs to be backed up. So what you are seeing is normal.

The thing you will need to do will be to try and reduce the amount of data that needs to be included in the back up. The best way of doing that is to create purge jobs for information you don't need.

Areas you should consider purging:

Change Audit and Archive Management.

Syslog.

The syslog would be the most important one here as it is taking such a large amount of space on your server.

You can configure/modify the purge settings from RME -> Administration. Under Change Audit, Archive  Management and Syslog.

Cheers,

Shane

Backup process is running normally now. The size of backup file is about 28 GB.
I modified purge setting.
yjdabear and shmcguir, thanks for your explanation.

Thanks....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco