Views
Helpful
Replies

I can not make IP SLA to signal SNMP traps upon timeout

rogelioalvez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello team.

I want SNMP traps to be sent every time an IP SLA (ICMP) object times out. For that purpose, I carried out the following

ip sla monitor logging traps

ip sla monitor 1

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 10.1.1.254

timeout 1000

frequency 15

ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

snmp-server enable traps rtr

snmp-server host 10.1.1.10 mycommunity

But no SNMP trap is sent when the IP SLA object times out. ¿ Am I missing something?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rogelio Alvez

Argentina

5 Replies 5

rogelioalvez
Level 1
Level 1

Just for the record.

I added the following command

ip sla monitor reaction-configuration 1 react timeout threshold-type immediate action-type trapOnly

but nothing happens. I turned on "debug snmp packet", without any output...

Team:

I could make the router send a SYSLOG message notifying the timeout condition, but only ONCE. ¿ Is is normal behaviour?

¿ shouldn´t the router send a notification every time the IP SLA object times out with the ICMP target?

Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Rogelio

Hi Rogelio, Do you find a way to make it work?

I'm experiencing the same issue.

Regards

Oscar

Hi Oscar:

I am sorry. I gave up on this without any solution to the issue.

regards, Rogelio

SNMP traps for IP SLAs are handled through the system logging (syslog) process. This means that system logging messages for IP SLAs violations are generated when the specified conditions are met, then sent as SNMP traps using the CISCO-SYSLOG-MIB. The ip sla monitor logging traps command is used to enable the generation of these IP SLAs specific traps. The generation of IP SLAs specific logging messages is dependant on the configuration of the standard set of logging commands (for example, logging on). IP SLAs logging messages are generated at the "informational" system logging severity level.

The command ip sla monitor logging traps is sometime hidden and may not show with ?, so just copy and paste in global config mode and have logging on and check if any traps are generated.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE them**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **