Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing & configure NAM-2220

Hello guys,  thanks for readme I come here because I need your help I'm loss

My company aske me for install an configure a device called NAM-2220, never hear before I know it's for moniroting and reporting, but I'm not sure how install and configure it.

so this is my questions:

1.- I need to have some licencing for X number of devices?

2.- I need to connect it in th LAN or WAN.

3.- What happens if I have some different addressing? I mean maybe I have some addressing for data & another for voice? I guess I need to assing and management adressing?

4.- I need to register my network devices?

5.- What kind of reports can I get for this appliace.

I read some on cisco and It looks easy but I'm not sure.

Thanks for ahead.

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NAM or Network Analysis Module, was initially a module used on 6500 or 7600 platform to capture SPAN and NETFlow data to do traffic analysis and traffic conversations

NAM offers a versatile combination of real-time traffic analysis, historical analysis, packet capture capabilities, and the ability to measure user-perceived delays across the WAN as well as analysis of voice-over-IP (VoIP) quality. Cisco's goal with NAM is to provide a uniform instrumentation layer that can collect data from a variety of sources, process the data to convert it to meaningful information, and then make it available to the user. This information is available either through an onboard web-based graphical user interface, or alternatively it can be exported to applications that are configured to collect from Cisco NAM.

2220 is a Appliance which has the enhanced hardware and doesnt depend of another platform (65k or 76k).  Please find a detailed note on 2200 series Appliances here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/white_paper_c07-505273.html#wp9000162

Answers to some of your questions are :

NAM doesnt manage the devices directly. It has to depend on the data streams forwarded to it, via SPAN, NetFlow etc, so License is not device based, but just for software activation.

The 2220 appliance is NAM's high-end hardware platform and is best suited to handle the high performance required in data center and core networks. You need to have the core devices reachability in LAN, for traffic forwarding. It is not a very stable topology if it is in WAN, as the traffic mirrored and forwarded to NAM will be huge, in Gigs.

Data sources for NAM include : SPAN/ERSPAN/RSPAN, NetFlow, WAAS FA, CEF Copy, VACL Capture etc.

3.- What happens if I have some different addressing? I mean maybe I have some addressing for data & another for voice? I guess I need to assing and management adressing?

As far as the VLAN or Interface has option to forward traffic to a perticulat data port/IP on NAM, it should be fine.

No network device registration is required.

You can view various reports from the traffic/Data NAM receives, some of them are following :

Top N Applications

Top N Application Groups

Top N Hosts (In and Out)

IP Distribution by Bits (or Bytes)

Top N DSCP

Top N VLAN

Statistics on the Top Conversations

Response Time Summary

Site Summary

For more details check here :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/network_analysis_module_software/5.1/user/guide/monitr_analysis.html#wp1226450

Following are some documents which would be helpful:

NAM deployment guide :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/white_paper_c07-505273.html

Install and config guide for NAM 2220 Appliance:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/network_analysis_module_appliance/2220/installation/guide/adeovr.html

As some features are software dependent, you can check the release notes on various Softwares available for NAM here :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps5401/prod_release_notes_list.html

Hope it will be helpful.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

The Cisco NAM 2220 appliance supports the following I/O connectors on the rear of the appliance:

Management port (NIC 1 Ethernet connection)

Serial connector

The Cisco NAM 2220 appliance uses the NIC 1 port, an integrated Ethernet controller (10/100/1000 Mb/s), as the management port. When you connect this port to a gateway, you enable management and NAM application software access to the Cisco NAM 2220 appliance.

NAM 2220 appliance uses one or two 10 GB Ethernet XFP transceiver modules to connect fiber optical cables as data input sources.

The slot on the right is the input to logical DataPort 1 of appliance, and the slot on the left is the input to logical DataPort 2.

See image below :

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/i/200001-300000/270001-280000/274001-275000/274243.eps/_jcr_content/renditions/274243.jpg

You can either have both monitoring port configured to one switch or each one connected to one.

-Thanks

Vinod

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NAM or Network Analysis Module, was initially a module used on 6500 or 7600 platform to capture SPAN and NETFlow data to do traffic analysis and traffic conversations

NAM offers a versatile combination of real-time traffic analysis, historical analysis, packet capture capabilities, and the ability to measure user-perceived delays across the WAN as well as analysis of voice-over-IP (VoIP) quality. Cisco's goal with NAM is to provide a uniform instrumentation layer that can collect data from a variety of sources, process the data to convert it to meaningful information, and then make it available to the user. This information is available either through an onboard web-based graphical user interface, or alternatively it can be exported to applications that are configured to collect from Cisco NAM.

2220 is a Appliance which has the enhanced hardware and doesnt depend of another platform (65k or 76k).  Please find a detailed note on 2200 series Appliances here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/white_paper_c07-505273.html#wp9000162

Answers to some of your questions are :

NAM doesnt manage the devices directly. It has to depend on the data streams forwarded to it, via SPAN, NetFlow etc, so License is not device based, but just for software activation.

The 2220 appliance is NAM's high-end hardware platform and is best suited to handle the high performance required in data center and core networks. You need to have the core devices reachability in LAN, for traffic forwarding. It is not a very stable topology if it is in WAN, as the traffic mirrored and forwarded to NAM will be huge, in Gigs.

Data sources for NAM include : SPAN/ERSPAN/RSPAN, NetFlow, WAAS FA, CEF Copy, VACL Capture etc.

As far as the VLAN or Interface has option to forward traffic to a perticulat data port/IP on NAM, it should be fine.

No network device registration is required.

You can view various reports from the traffic/Data NAM receives, some of them are following :

Top N Applications

Top N Application Groups

Top N Hosts (In and Out)

IP Distribution by Bits (or Bytes)

Top N DSCP

Top N VLAN

Statistics on the Top Conversations

Response Time Summary

Site Summary

For more details check here :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/network_analysis_module_software/5.1/user/guide/monitr_analysis.html#wp1226450

Following are some documents which would be helpful:

NAM deployment guide :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/white_paper_c07-505273.html

Install and config guide for NAM 2220 Appliance:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/network_analysis_module_appliance/2220/installation/guide/adeovr.html

As some features are software dependent, you can check the release notes on various Softwares available for NAM here :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps5401/prod_release_notes_list.html

Hope it will be helpful.

-Thanks

Vinod

Dear Vinod

Thank you so much for your help. next week I will "touch" the NAM for fisrt time. And I let you know how it comes.

Can I send you a message i I have some problems?

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"

Daniel,

Thanks for update. I hope it would be exciting!

Hope your business and organisation makes full out of NAM.

NMS community will be all standy-by to help for anything which you feel asking like.

-Thanks
Vinod

Dear Vinod

I have another question about how connect the NAM to  the network.. I read the have 2 port for monitoring & one management  port. In this topology the costumer has 2 nexus 7000. So I can use the  management port for monitoring or I need to use both ports I mean  "monitoring ports " whit 10GB port with SFP's ?

The Cisco NAM 2220 appliance supports the following I/O connectors on the rear of the appliance:

Management port (NIC 1 Ethernet connection)

Serial connector

The Cisco NAM 2220 appliance uses the NIC 1 port, an integrated Ethernet controller (10/100/1000 Mb/s), as the management port. When you connect this port to a gateway, you enable management and NAM application software access to the Cisco NAM 2220 appliance.

NAM 2220 appliance uses one or two 10 GB Ethernet XFP transceiver modules to connect fiber optical cables as data input sources.

The slot on the right is the input to logical DataPort 1 of appliance, and the slot on the left is the input to logical DataPort 2.

See image below :

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/i/200001-300000/270001-280000/274001-275000/274243.eps/_jcr_content/renditions/274243.jpg

You can either have both monitoring port configured to one switch or each one connected to one.

-Thanks

Vinod

Thank you so much I will let you know about my first expierence with NAM 2220.

Hello my friend.

Well as I said last week I have the NAM in my work place. I change the cli credentials and create a new one for GUI interfaz. Still I don't connect it to my little network. But right now I'm so loss what's next?

Please check the initial IP configurations. Check if you can ping the gateway from NAM or the NAM IP from your PC/switch.

See configuration details here :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/network_analysis_module_appliance/2220/installation/guide/instcfg/config.html#wp1054239

Make sure you have enabled ip http server enable to enable http access. Shafre details of show ip command.

-Thanks
Vinod

My friend.

Yesterday I configured the basic aspects.

I change the user for cli administrations, I change que GUI credentials, set up the ip address and enabled the http services. I don't configure secure HTTP, because this device in EOL. So for now just http is ok. I haven't connect to my lab because I don't have the correct fibers. This afternoon I wiil recive thie fibers and I will connect it to my 6500 Switch.

Righ now I just testing the NAM, maybe in one or two weeks I will connect to my client network (2 Nexus 7000).

I know I need to configure my Switch port as SPAN. But I have not idea what next comes?.

I need to describe what time of reports can they get it from the nam. How to do a capure, how to do a report, how filters this report and all the things that I can Get fromt this NAM. So I'm so loss. Right now Im find a user guide so I just starting to read it. I let you kknow when the fibers arribe, and I almos forgot... we have a trafic generator, so i now sure if I can use it.

Dear Vinod I have this basic questions (almost for you)

in the real world I need to connect the NAM to Nexus 7000 (2) I was reading about the configuration port on nexus so if I'm right I guess this is the configuration for the port (on the nexus) that will be connect to my NAM:

Destination port configuration

switch7000-1#configure terminal
switch7000-1(config)#interface ethernet X/X
 switch7000-1(config-if)#switchport
 switch7000-1(config-if)#switchport monitor
switch7000-1(config-if)#no shut
switch7000-1(config-if)#exit

After that I will configure the session:

switch7000-1(config)#monitor session X
switch7000-1(config-monitor)#source interface ethernet X/X both switch7000-1(config-monitor)#destination interface ethernet X/X switch7000-1(config-monitor)#no shut switch7000-1(config-monitor)#exit

Let's back to my world right now...

1.- Now I'm in the NAM by GUI but nothing comes. I can't use the Switch 6500 so what can I do?
can I use another switch? I need another switch with fiber ports? Because if I got it right
the port for monitoring in the NAM use only fiber ports.

2.- Ok imagine I have now a Switch so what's next in the NAM?

a) What I need to do first?
b) What does the hard drives in my NAM?

Please I need a lot help here.

Thank your for readme.

You configuration seems fine. But by default SPAN is created in shut state. Please check the summary of steps to configure SPAN here :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/system_management/configuration/guide/sm_nx_os_cg/sm_14span.html#wp1088793

Also, share the output of show monitor session all brief to check if SPAN is working properly.

Configuration Example for a SPAN Session

To configure SPAN session:

Step 1 Configure destination ports in access or trunk mode, and enable SPAN monitoring.

switch# config t

switch(config)# interface ethernet 2/5

switch(config-if)# switchport

switch(config-if)# switchport mode trunk

switch(config-if)# switchport monitor

switch(config-if)# no shut

switch(config-if)# exit

switch(config)# 

Step 2 Configure a SPAN session.

switch(config)# no monitor session 3

switch(config)# monitor session 3

switch(config-monitor)# source interface ethernet 2/1-3, ethernet 3/1 rx

switch(config-monitor)# source interface port-channel 2

switch(config-monitor)# source interface sup-eth 0 both

switch(config-monitor)# source vlan 3, 6-8 tx

switch(config-monitor)# source interface ethernet 101/1/1-3

switch(config-monitor)# filter vlan 3-5, 7

switch(config-monitor)# destination interface ethernet 2/5

switch(config-monitor)# no shut

switch(config-monitor)# mtu 500

switch(config-monitor)# rate-limit 10

switch(config-monitor)# multicast best-effort

switch(config-monitor)# exit

switch(config)# show monitor session 3

switch(config)# copy running-config startup-config

-Thanks
Vinod

Thank you Vinod asap I let you share the configuration. Today we're moving on to new build.

I really sorry if I bother you.

Daniel,

Thanks for update. This community is here to help anytime whenever possible.

Please dont feel sorry about this. We feel sorry when we are not able to help.

Thank you for coming to CSC and making it so live.

-Thanks
Vinod

Hello Vinod.

Well our new lab is working so I tried with a Nexus 5000 this is my configuration:

NEXUS_5548(config)# interface ethernet 1/31

NEXUS_5548(config-if)# switchport

NEXUS_5548(config-if)# switchport mode trunk

NEXUS_5548(config-if)# switchport monitor

NEXUS_5548(config-if)# speed 10000

NEXUS_5548(config-if)# no shut

NEXUS_5548(config)# no monitor session 3

ERROR: Invalid session

NEXUS_5548(config)# monitor session 3

NEXUS_5548(config-monitor)# source interface ethernet 1/32

NEXUS_5548(config-monitor)# source vlan 160 - 162

NEXUS_5548(config-monitor)# destination interface EThernet 1/31

NEXUS_5548(config-monitor)# no shut

NEXUS_5548(config-monitor)# mtu 500

And this is output from show monitor session:

EXUS_5548(config-monitor)# do show monitor session 3

session 3

---------------

type              : local

state             : down (No operational src/dst)

mtu              : 500

source intf       :

rx            : Eth1/32

tx            : Eth1/32

both          : Eth1/32

source VLANs      :

rx            : 160-191

source VSANs      :

rx            :

destination ports : Eth1/31

Legend: f = forwarding enabled, l = learning enabled

NEXUS_5548(config-monitor)# no shut

My XFP are:  PLRXXL-SCS43-C1

My SFP in Nexus are:  GLC-SX-MMD

Not activity on monitor ports.

BTW just as a comment when I connect my fibers between my two XFP's a blue light appers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco