Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA and Netflow Config at CISCO Router 1941 for Monitoring at PRTG

timmysyed
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Members,

I have configured SNMP Protocol at Router1 and Router 2 ( Connected on Serial Interface). I am collecting data for my PRTG monitoring tool from SNMP trap config at R1 and R2. I would like to config now IP SLA and Netflow v9 or v5 at Cisco router so that I can gather data at my PRTG Probe. The main reason is to monitor Delay, Latency and Packet Loss for UDP Traffic. Please help me to configure. Thank You

8 Replies 8

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
have you started either config ?
whats the IP address of your collector ?

Hi

I haven't started as didn't get any clear details to config and linked it to PRTG. Can you help me please. Below is my network.

PC1 --Fast Ethernet--- > Router 1(192.168.10.2) --Serial-- > Router 2 (192.168.10.4) --F.Ethernet-- > PC2 ( PRTG)

Thanks

Ok cool
Work on 1 feature at a time , So on the router you want the flows off , here is a working example of flex netflow v9 that will collect standard flows , you need to fill in the Blanks like Ip address of PRTG and the source interface

when that working we can setup ip sla

Int vlan 10
ip flow monitor TESTFLOW input
ip flow monitor TESTFLOW output

flow record FLOW-RECORD
description record to monitor network traffic
match ipv4 tos
match ipv4 protocol
match ipv4 source address
match ipv4 destination address
match transport source-port
match transport destination-port
match interface input
match interface output
collect routing source as
collect routing destination as
collect routing next-hop address ipv4
collect transport tcp flags
collect counter bytes
collect counter packets
collect timestamp sys-uptime first
collect timestamp sys-uptime last
!
!
flow exporter NetQos
description export Netflow traffic to HQ
destination (IP ADDRESS OF YOUR PRTG)
source (ANY LOGICAL INTERFACE LIKE LOOPBACK)
output-features
transport udp 2055
template data timeout 300
option interface-table timeout 1000
option exporter-stats timeout 1000
!
!
flow monitor TESTFLOW
description Used for ipv4 traffic analysis (Mapped To FLOW-RECORD)
exporter NetQos
statistics packet protocol
record FLOW-RECORD

Great Thanks, Let me do it tomorrow at Lab. I will update you. Appreciate your reply :-)

Hello

I have config it at Routers and but it show Grey at PRTG. I am figuring out the issue at PRTG. Meanwhile i have two question

1. Will NetFlow Provide me the delay and packet loss parameters ? or IP SLA is better ?

2. I have already configured SNMP Trap at routers and getting proper data at PRTG. Can all these run in parallel or should be only one ?

Thank You

Hi
router can reach the PRTG by ping yes and make sure the correct UDP port is set , you can use others nut 2055 is one of the netflow defaults

1 depends on your PRTG , i dont use that we use live action and it can show that through netflow , ip sla can do it through jitter too from memory although ive only used it fro interesting traffic and icmp checks, tracking , dropped packets

2 SNMP is separate feature to netflow and sla , its fine to have them all running same time , just dont overload your cpu but 1941 should be fine

Thank You

Can you please also advise on IP SLA steps as well ? I appreciate.

few types of ip sla her is an example put in your ips , you need a sec license on 1941 to run this feature

ip sla auto discovery
ip sla 1
icmp-echo (DESTINATION IP HERE) source-ip (SOURCE IP HERE)
timeout 2000
frequency 5
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now