Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA for Video

Chuck Reid
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

What tests / parameters / settings are needed to make up a good IP SLA test for Tanberg and or Cisco Video end points?

What should be added in addition to type jitter? Should VOIP Jitter be added if only testing for video?

What other IP SLA tests should be added? What parameters are recommended?

I know the router displays results when test is done, but is the info maitained in a file anyplace on the router? If so, for how long?

Is there a free or cheap 3rd party tool that I can use to display the results in a report that I can publish as a pdf etc???

Thanks,

Chuck

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but the 50 device license for CiscoWorks LMS can be a reasonable price for the amount of NMS capabilities you get.  This includes IP SLA provisioning, graphing, and reporting.

Yes, the "show ip sla monitor stat" is the CLI way to access the statistics.  There is also an SNMP interface.  You can query objects in the CISCO-RTTMON-MIB to get to the same data.

I don't understand the test question.  The tests would run periodically (e.g. every 60 seconds).  The historical data summarizes those tests.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

UDP Jitter is generally effective for video SLA measurements.  This will give you RTT, packet loss, and jitter.  You'll likely want to specify a "tos" value to match your QoS parameters (e.g. tos 160) and a proper codec depending on your video type.  As part of the Medianet architecture, there will be some new IP SLA operations added later this year specifically for video monitoring (to actually test the video).

The data is maintained in the device memory, not in a file.  You can control how much history is maintained, but by default stats are maintained for two hours.

Solarwinds offers a free IP SLA monitoring tool.  See http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/ip_sla_monitor/ for more details.

Hello,

Thanks for the info:

I downloaded that free IP SLA Monitor tool, it doens't come with a jitter test, but I guess that is because it is free, and I would need to purchase Orian to get any reporting type tools.

You said the data was in memory, not in a file, I guess that means the data that is displayed when you finish the test and do a show ip sla monitor statistics is the only data you get right?

Any idea how long you would want to run an actual test? If the data only remians on memory for 2 hrs, than I could not do a test longer than 2 hours? Oh, maybe that is just be default, I'll look into that in home lab.

Thanks,

Chuck

I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but the 50 device license for CiscoWorks LMS can be a reasonable price for the amount of NMS capabilities you get.  This includes IP SLA provisioning, graphing, and reporting.

Yes, the "show ip sla monitor stat" is the CLI way to access the statistics.  There is also an SNMP interface.  You can query objects in the CISCO-RTTMON-MIB to get to the same data.

I don't understand the test question.  The tests would run periodically (e.g. every 60 seconds).  The historical data summarizes those tests.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: