Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 Network Management and IP SLA

massipace
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have to plan a network infrastucture with MPLS-IPv4, IPv4 and IPv6 routing tables.

Since I have an hybrid network and dual stack IPv4/IPv6 routers I must manage both protocols for all boxes using SNMP and IP SLA.

Can the SNMP IPv4 traps from the router targeted to the network management station carry information about IPv6 interfaces ?

I found the IP SLA is supported in IPv6 networks for some measurements, is required IPv6 enabled on the IP connection between the management station and the responder?

Thanks

Massimiliano

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, traps can be sent over IPv4 transport and contain IPv6-related varbinds.  Second, I'm not sure I understand why you would need IPv6 enabled between the management station and the responder.  The management station will only perform IP SLA configuration options on the IP SLA source device.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, traps can be sent over IPv4 transport and contain IPv6-related varbinds.  Second, I'm not sure I understand why you would need IPv6 enabled between the management station and the responder.  The management station will only perform IP SLA configuration options on the IP SLA source device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: