cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IR829 Vlan interface staying down

pasudhee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am trying to configure a Vlan (Vlan10 in my case) to work with GigabitEthernet1 interface which is connected to a Cisco LoRaGW PoE interface but i'm unable to bring it up despite trying various things. 

Any help is really much appreciated.

Here's the output of few commands.

IR829#show ip int br
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
GigabitEthernet0           unassigned      YES NVRAM  down                  down
GigabitEthernet1           unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
GigabitEthernet2           unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
GigabitEthernet3           unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
GigabitEthernet4           unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
Wlan-GigabitEthernet0      unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
Async0                     unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
Async1                     unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
GigabitEthernet5           unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down
Cellular0                  unassigned      YES NVRAM  up                    up
Cellular1                  unassigned      YES NVRAM  down                  down
NVI0                       127.1.3.2       YES unset  up                    up
Virtual-LPWA1              unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
Vlan1                      192.168.2.6     YES DHCP   up                    up
Vlan10                     192.168.1.1     YES manual down                  down
wlan-ap0                   unassigned      YES NVRAM  up                    up

Output of command running-config for the Vlan and interface (truncated):

ip dhcp pool gospool
network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.1.1
dns-server 8.8.8.8 192.168.1.1
option 43 hex 01
!

interface GigabitEthernet1 description IXM module switchport access vlan 10 switchport mode access no ip address ! interface Vlan10 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp ip nat inside ip virtual-reassembly in !

Output of vlan-switch command:

IR829#show vlan-switch

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports
---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
1    default                          active    Gi2, Gi3, Gi4, Wl0
10   vlan10                           active    Gi1
1002 fddi-default                     act/unsup
1003 token-ring-default               act/unsup
1004 fddinet-default                  act/unsup
1005 trnet-default                    act/unsup

VLAN Type  SAID       MTU   Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp  BrdgMode Trans1 Trans2
---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- -------- ------ ------
1    enet  100001     1500  -      -      -        -    -        1002   1003
10   enet  100010     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
1002 fddi  101002     1500  -      -      -        -    -        1      1003
1003 tr    101003     1500  1005   0      -        -    srb      1      1002
1004 fdnet 101004     1500  -      -      1        ibm  -        0      0
1005 trnet 101005     1500  -      -      1        ibm  -        0      0
IR829#show vlans

No Virtual LANs configured.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Is it possible that this particular 829 doesn't have the PoE module?

If you do a show inventory do you see the following line? NAME: "IR800-IL-POE", DESCR: "POE module"   

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Ben Walters
Level 3
Level 3

I see that the g1 interface is down when you ran show ip int br on the 829 the VLAN interface will be in a down state until a port on that VLAN has a device connected and the port is up/up. 

If you want the VLAN interface to be active regardless of any device connected use the no autostate command on the VLAN interface.

If you have the device connected to g1 and are expecting it to be functional I would start by looking at the physical layer, cabling, the port itself, PoE.

Hopefully this is helpful. 

Ben, thank you for your reply. Issuing the command no autostate on the Vlan 10 interface brought it back to life. 

IR829#show ip int br
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
GigabitEthernet0           unassigned      YES NVRAM  down                  down
GigabitEthernet1           unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
GigabitEthernet2           unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
GigabitEthernet3           unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
GigabitEthernet4           unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
Wlan-GigabitEthernet0      unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
Async0                     unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
Async1                     unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
GigabitEthernet5           unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down
Cellular0                  unassigned      YES NVRAM  up                    up
Cellular1                  unassigned      YES NVRAM  down                  down
NVI0                       127.1.3.2       YES unset  up                    up
Virtual-LPWA1              unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
Vlan1                      192.168.2.6     YES DHCP   up                    up
Vlan10                     192.168.1.1     YES manual up                    up
wlan-ap0                   unassigned      YES NVRAM  up                    up

However, the GigabitEthernet1 int is still down.

The device itself is working fine as I have access to another production IR829 for reference and when I connect the device to it via PoE, the device boots up fine. I've tried to match the configs b/w the 2 routers but looks like i'm still missing something.

Any ideas?

Hi
the port is physically down at layer 1 , its not a config issue, either cable , port or nic on the connected device , whats connected to it currently ?

A wireless lora gateway is connected to it (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/wireless-gateway-lorawan/index.html) so that the IR829 can act as a backhaul.

When I connect another router which has been running in production for few months, this gateway boots up fine so i'm wondering what the problem could be with my router and the cable is fine (tested it few times with my laptop) 

so ports ok if you put a laptop in it yes
if thats the case it may not like this Lora device or the way its negotiating layer 1 , could be it just requires hard settings, set the speed an duplex under the interface and restart the interface see if that bring it up/up

speed 1000
duplex full

Is it possible that this particular 829 doesn't have the PoE module?

If you do a show inventory do you see the following line? NAME: "IR800-IL-POE", DESCR: "POE module"   

Ben, you're right on the money. How stupid of me to not checked this router properly before pulling my hair out.

Thank you for your patience and replies.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: