Helpful
Replies

Jumbo frames over 1Gbps link and speed tweak

Frank27
Level 1
Level 1

I have this network configuration :

cisco 7201 router --> Nexus N5k --> ASA5525 --> Host

they are running at 1Gbps speed. I would like to improve the overall performance of the network.

So It came to my mind to  higher the MTU size for example.

Makes sense to have jumbo frames over a 1Gbps link? Normally they are used on 10Gpbs one. 

What other network improvements should I use as general remarks?

4 Replies 4

Depening on the size of your network, considering you are running over 1 giga link, unless you are facing some performance issue, I dont see what and why you are going to change configuration. Now, if you are running into performance problem, then, I advise you try to track down what is causing.

Do you have any tool to monitor the network? 

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://routerguide.net/jumbo-frame-on-or-off/

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

ASA in path  I don't think that ASA support jumbo, and this make ASA frag/defrag Packet with inspection it nightmare.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, going from an Ethernet 1500 MTU to a jumbo, might indeed improve throughput, but only usually by a few percent.

If you believe you have a performance issue, you need to first truly identify the "bottleneck" and mitigate it (laugh, unfortunately, this often leads to finding the next bottleneck).

I don't firmly recall the specs on the 7201, but, I recall, it performed like a NPE-G1 or G2, neither of which guarantees gig throughput (the -G# is for PPS, not bps).

I'm unfamiliar with ASA models performance, but FW can often be a throughput bottleneck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: