cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Juniper and Cisco

I have two switches

1-Juniper

2-Cisco SG300

My requirement is in juniper side i will use SFP module and Cisco side also ,but both are different vendor

so how i will configure that port.

I did

1-Both side "trunk"

2-Set Full duplex

3-Allowed all vlan in both switches

After that they are not communicate with each other so i need help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nixpengu1n
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In common there is no issue to connect different switches from different vendors by optics (via SFP or SFP+) as long as they support same physical conditions (wavelength and so on). You can check Cisco SFP / SFP+ Data Sheet here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/gigabit-ethernet-gbic-sfp-modules/product_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html

Also, during trunk auto-negotiation process switches may fail to form a trunk link because of vendor issues, so I would rather disable this auto-negotiation with switchport nonegotiate . Also as per Cisco best practice manual speed and duplex should be defined on ports to achieve maximum and predictable performance.

However you need to ensure that:

- Both switches are using same STP mode

- Both switches have their ports configured as trunks

- Both switches have same VLAN IDs configured

- Both switches have same native VLAN ID

I would go with the following configuration on Cisco switch:

interface X/X/X

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan X

switchport nonegotiate

speed X

duplex full

switchport trunk encapsulation dot11q 

Last command may not be applicable to your switch due to Cisco has depreciated ISL trunking and stick to dot11q encapsulation as default and only one available option. 

Also after you see that traffic can pass between this two devices I would monitor situation a bit with show interface X/X command to ensure that there is no errors or CRC.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

leowls
Level 1
Level 1

Did you use dot1q encapsulation on the cisco switch?

nixpengu1n
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In common there is no issue to connect different switches from different vendors by optics (via SFP or SFP+) as long as they support same physical conditions (wavelength and so on). You can check Cisco SFP / SFP+ Data Sheet here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/gigabit-ethernet-gbic-sfp-modules/product_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html

Also, during trunk auto-negotiation process switches may fail to form a trunk link because of vendor issues, so I would rather disable this auto-negotiation with switchport nonegotiate . Also as per Cisco best practice manual speed and duplex should be defined on ports to achieve maximum and predictable performance.

However you need to ensure that:

- Both switches are using same STP mode

- Both switches have their ports configured as trunks

- Both switches have same VLAN IDs configured

- Both switches have same native VLAN ID

I would go with the following configuration on Cisco switch:

interface X/X/X

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan X

switchport nonegotiate

speed X

duplex full

switchport trunk encapsulation dot11q 

Last command may not be applicable to your switch due to Cisco has depreciated ISL trunking and stick to dot11q encapsulation as default and only one available option. 

Also after you see that traffic can pass between this two devices I would monitor situation a bit with show interface X/X command to ensure that there is no errors or CRC.

We work with AE Agregated Ethernet Links in LACP Active in Juniper side and 
In cisco side port channel LACP Active, media typ sfp, without auto-negotiation.

We use two links for redundancy,