Views
Helpful
Replies

Latitude E6410 - USB-to-Serial Adapter - Break Sequence

offpister
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop that does not have a Serial port or a Break key on the keyboard. I have a Prolific PL2303 USB-to-Serial adapter which is installed and I can access the CLI ok with this setup via HyperTerminal.

My problem is that I am unable to break into ROMMON using the break sequence Ctrl + Break (as there is no break key). I have also tried TeraTerm with the break sequence of Alt + B.

Additionally, I have tried setting the baud rate to 2600 and pressing the space bar for 10 seconds to no avail.

Any help would be appreciate as I never know when I may need to break into ROMMON.

Thanks.

Jonathan Worth.

Network Manager

Hesa Limited

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jonathan

If you want to try the space bar technique then set your baud rate to 1200 not 2600. I have done that and it worked ok for me.

I also have the issue of no break key on my laptop. I found that in my terminal emulator I was able to map a key to send a function identified as telnet break and it works for me to break into rommon. I do not see a way to do that in Hyperterm and it has been a very long time since I used Tera Term so I do not remember whether it has the ability to do that.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
<