cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

lldp on OOB MGMT interface on cisco ios-XR

harshshah2011
Level 1
Level 1

We have recently received some NCS55xx platform routers. I enabled lldp at global level but i still can't see lldp neighbor on mgmt interface. Is this the way it suppose to work? I tried to check if some control-plane ACL might be causing it but i couldn't find anything about it. Can anyone confirm that for me?

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Does it help by enabling lldp-'extra' on the individual management interfaces with , for instance 

router(config-mgmt-if)#lldp enable

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Yeah, I also tried that. (should have mentioned that before)

When i was reading about lldp, i come up across this sentence:

"LLDP is enabled by default on all supported interfaces to send and to receive LLDP packets."

Does this mean maybe lldp is not supported on mgmt interface

Ref :

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/iosxr/ncs5500/general/63x/release/notes/b-release-notes-ncs5500-r632.html

Look like it depends on the software version being used (you may need at least 6.3.x) , from the above document : 

LLDP Support on the MGMT Interface

With the introduction of this feature, the system supports the IOS XR LLDP enablement over the Management Interfaces on Cisco NCS 5500. This feature requires support from SPIO as LLDP uses SPIO for both transmission and reception of the frames.

For more information, see the Using Data Models chapter in Programmability Configuration Guide for Cisco NCS 5500 Series Routers.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/iosxr/ncs5500/general/63x/release/notes/b-release-notes-ncs5500-r632.html#id_68101

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for the quick response,marce.

I'm running 7.0.1. It mentions that "This feature requires support from SPIO". Do i need to do something specific to get that SPIO?

#show version
Fri Apr 3 15:34:19.659 UTC
Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 7.0.1
Copyright (c) 2013-2019 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Build Information:
Built By : ahoang
Built On : Thu Aug 29 16:30:00 PDT 2019
Built Host : iox-ucs-027
Workspace : /auto/srcarchive15/prod/7.0.1/ncs5500/ws
Version : 7.0.1

cisco NCS-5500 () processor
System uptime is 16 weeks 16 hours 29 minutes

>Do i need to do something specific to get that SPIO?

This probably refers to the capabilities of the particular line cards being used. More recent types will probably have this. For instance :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/network-convergence-system-5500-series/datasheet-c78-742016.html

>...

On a system with only the newer line cards, referred to as native mode, the system will support richer feature set and higher feature scale and will be supported in future software releases.

>...

M.

Okay, that makes sense then. We have 36x100G line cards and not 400G line cards.
So, I guess if i understood you correct, we will have to wait for future releases and it will already be enabled on mgmt interfaces, correct?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: