Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 - Reporting on 3750 Stacks, Nexus 7009

1)

I am running LMS 3.2, and it does not appear to properly identify 3750 stacks. While the member switches are shown in a detailed report, I would like to see each swith in a generalized device count. For example, on RME's home page instead of showing 50 "Normal" devices, I want it to show 75 given that we have 25 2-switch stacks within the 50 count. Or even if it is an accurate count simply within the hardware or software report.

2)

Secondly, our Nexus 7009 boxes are not recognizable in LMS. When I try to download & install Nexus version 2.8 (currently 2.6) it fails. Although, this doesn't really matter because the notes say nothing about 2.8 adding 7009 support.

Any thoughts on either of these would be greatly appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The generalized device count will not show individual stack members in the count. It instead reflects the managed devices by unique addresses and also indicates the licenses you are using - one stack = one management address.

LMS 3.2 is no longer sold (as of April 2011 - see end of sales notice) and anything not listed in the last Supported Devices Table (ca. May 2011) will not have support added. According to that table, among the Nexus 7000 switches it only supports the 7010 and 7018. (The 7009 was introduced in Summer 2011.)

LMS 4.2 supports the 7009. It is a major upgrade and would require an upgrade license purchase.

View solution in original post

You're welcome.

The generalized device count still counts a stack as one device. You still need to go into the detailed report to see the stack members broken out.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The generalized device count will not show individual stack members in the count. It instead reflects the managed devices by unique addresses and also indicates the licenses you are using - one stack = one management address.

LMS 3.2 is no longer sold (as of April 2011 - see end of sales notice) and anything not listed in the last Supported Devices Table (ca. May 2011) will not have support added. According to that table, among the Nexus 7000 switches it only supports the 7010 and 7018. (The 7009 was introduced in Summer 2011.)

LMS 4.2 supports the 7009. It is a major upgrade and would require an upgrade license purchase.

Thanks Marvin. Does LMS 4.2 or Prime Infrastructure allow for individual switch members in generalized device count?

You're welcome.

The generalized device count still counts a stack as one device. You still need to go into the detailed report to see the stack members broken out.

That's unfortunate. Maybe there is a quick and dirty way to extract the needed inventory/device-count from the detailed reporting. Thanks for your insight Marvin.

One approach you can take is to create a custom inventory report (Reports, Report Designer, Inventory)

I generated one just now called "stacks" whose attributes are only the chassis and chassis serial number field. You can then run that report against all devices and see the number of unique serial numbers returned (screenshot below, click to enlarge). A stack (as in my lab 2-switch 3560 stack below) will return multiple lines with each chassis on its own line.

You can easily export the data to a csv and open in Excel or a text editor to get a quick line count (= number of unique chassis) for a large set of data.