Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 - Syslog Collector won't subscribe

eidumsigfrid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The Syslog Collector won't subscribe to itself as it states "Unable to resurrect connection to a subscriber". The syslog collector status GUI is blank with no collectors listed. I have tried subscribing to the hostname however it states it is not valid.

I have restarted daemons in an attempt to recover.

Also ran the syslogconf.pl script again. No luck.

SyslogConf.log

SyslogCollector.log

SyslogAnalyzerUI.log

Collector.properties are attached.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SyslogCollector is failing to startup because is cannot read /var/log/syslog_info.  Check to make sure that this file is readable by casuser.  Make sure that all the directories leading up to this file (/var and /var/log) have 0755 permissions.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SyslogCollector is failing to startup because is cannot read /var/log/syslog_info.  Check to make sure that this file is readable by casuser.  Make sure that all the directories leading up to this file (/var and /var/log) have 0755 permissions.

Awesome. Thanks mate. Fixed.

I thought I checked that already but must have overlooked.

This was working fine in the past I suspect logrot.pl is defaulting the syslog_info file to owner of root. Is there anyway to retain ownership of the file to casuser for syslog_info ?

Logrot.pl will not change ownership of the file because logrot doesn't change the inode (it truncates the file in place).  If you're using logadm, on the other hand, it can change the inode unless you run it with the -c option.

Hi,

How do I check that the file is readable by casuser and that all the directories leading up to this file (/var and /var/log) have 0755 permissions? How do I set 0755 permission? Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: