Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 - Unable to start Topology Services from client ws

CSCO11227946
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I have a problem starting Topology Service on client Work Station. Starting it from server is without any problem.

can anyone help, please ?

Hostname is DNS resolvable.

LMS 3.2 is instaled on windows server 2008 SP2 x64.

ERROR:

topology error.JPG

tanks in advanced.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I still think something on the network is blocking this port.  To rule out a process problem, you can try telneting to the port on the server itself.  You should get an instant connection.  You can then try launching Topology Services from the server to see if that works.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The hostname is not resolvable from the client.  On the server, run the hostname command from the DOS prompt.  Then, on the client, telnet to this hostname on port 42342.  Make sure you can establish a connection.  Then, open NMSROOT/lib/classpath/md.properties on the server.  Look for the property, PX_HOST.  Back on the client, telnet to that hostname value on the same port.  Again, make sure you can establish a connection.

If either hostname is not resolvable, fix that.  Either add the hostname to the client's DNS, or add the hostname to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file on the client.

Hi  Jo, first to say tanks for U'r time...

Hostname is same on dos prompt and in /md.properties file on the server.

Telnet can be established from client to server on port 42342, but I'm still geting same error message when I start topology services.

Please, what else can I do?

One more thing to check is the full computer name under System Properties > Computer Name tab.  Make sure the Full computer name is resolvable on the client.  You should also confirm your client can connect to the hostname on port 43242.

Hi Jo,

Thanks for U'r help.

My problem still exists. I can telnet to full hostname on port 42342,

but when I tried to connect on port 43242 i have error message: could not open connection to the host, on port 43242: Connect faile

how can I solve this problem?

Post the output of the pdshow command from the server.  When you do the telnet from the client, does the error come back immediately, or does it take a few seconds?

Error doesn't come back immediately, it tekas about 10 - 15 sec of trying to connect and then it shows error message.

I'm sending PDSHOW output from server attached.

That points to a firewall problem.  The daemons are running so something on the network must be blocking the TCP traffic to 43242.  This port must be open between client and server.

First to say Thanks for U'r help  mate.

I tried it with my firewal turned off  and AV software uninstaled , and I'm still unable to conect to port 43242.

i checked on server these ports are ok,

TCP    0.0.0.0:42342          0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:43242          0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING

do U have any other ideas, or U think it's just firewall or some other thing blocking that specific port???

I still think something on the network is blocking this port.  To rule out a process problem, you can try telneting to the port on the server itself.  You should get an instant connection.  You can then try launching Topology Services from the server to see if that works.

Hi Jo,

Tanks a lot  for all U'r help, It's working now,

I uninstaled AV software on server, added port 43242 as exception on client and server, and it's working now.U ware wright all the time mate!

cheers

I can telnet to port 42342 and 43242 using the IP Address and Hostname, But unfortunately I still cannot open Topology Services from my laptop.

I already disable AV at my laptop and Ciscowork Server.

Looking forward for your advice.

Please start a new thread for your issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco