Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0.1 -- Almost useless -- Corefunctions not working

lo.mueller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I just want to know whether there are more disappointed users/admins of new LMS 4.0.1.

We just migrated from LMS 3.2 to LMS 4.0.1 in our productiv environment (intentionally waiting for more than half a year since release of LMS 4.0).

As CoreApps of LMS 4.01 (CS, CM, RME, DFM, HUM) simply seem to be upgraded to a new major version, the UI is new designed.

I cannot understand why corefunctions do on longer work as expected:

- UserTracking discovery is unreliable as:

> UT-DB sometimes looses all its data  

> discovers only a quarter of formerly known endhosts with CM 5.2

- DeviceCenter no longer allows to

> check device credentials

> perform inventory collection

> start CiscoView

> ....

- (Web)-UserInterface locks-up

- With high-performant HW (32GB RAM, 2x8Core-CPU UltraSparcT2) the WEB UI is really slow resulting in long waiting timeouts

<<Please attach your discoveries and experiences>>

@Cisco: Please, please, please improve LMS 4.x for reliability, usability and performance as all of us use this tool for daily work.

Acutally we are having a debate about re-use of old LMS 3.2-Version getting back reliability and functionality

Thanks for any feedback

Lothar

7 Replies 7

dagyb
Level 1
Level 1

We've been burnt on this before, anybody remember 2.6, we kept 3.2 going in conjunction with 4.0.1, I can say all functionality is there if you can manage to find it and bookmark it, try using the sitemap at the top right. The biggest problem I have is that discovery never stops running, rendering CM and UT completely unusable.

Hi,

sitemap seems to be a cool!

Invention of bookmarks was a very good idea, but handling (create subfolder, move bookmarks to another position, etc) should be enhanced.

Hope cisco is able to release a more reliable version LMS 4.1!

I have a TAC case open on my CM never stopping discovery, one of the specific questions I asked was how to transfer favorites among different users, I'll post herre if I get an answer. You can copy your CM maps between users though.

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are no known issues with UT not finding certain end hosts and certainly nothing that would cause UT to lose its data.  The rules for UT have not changed between 3.2 and 4.0.

Admittedly, Device Center in 4.0 is a bit of a mess.  This is being corrected in 4.1, but all of the tools you know and love are still there in 4.0.  Look towards the top of the Device Center interface and you'll see a star icon (not the favorite star at the top of the LMS page).  Click on this star, and you'll see all of the tools (like CV).  If you keep scrolling down the Device Center interface, you'll see other star icons.  Clicking on them will show other tools.

The UI lock-ups are being fixed in 4.1, as are some performance issues.

Unlike LMS 3.2, LMS 4.0 really benefits from fast I/O.  This can greatly improve performance, especially on Solaris.

Hi Joe,

this "star"-hint helps a lot, but really hard to find for "old" LMS 3.2 users.

Glad to hear that DeviceCenter will loose this messed up interface.

One big thing to bringing back speed of UI was to unmanage interface/port polling in DFM (Fault-Mgr), this

seems to slow UI down (we had over 1000 crital interface messages).

I think LMS 4.01 is a typical X.0 version.

LMS 4.0 doesn't manage any more interfaces in Fault than 3.2 does.  You may be interested in this thread regarding file-based interface type management.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3343648#3343648

Just another tip that might help - in the top right corner between the "star" (favourites) and the "film strip" (videos) there is a LEGACY pull down with all the classic tools and menus if you are having trouble with the new UI