cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 Inventory Collection GBICs and serial nos.

L1GHTSPEED
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have larger numbers of WS-C3560X-24/24P/48 Cisco switches with1000BaseSX SFP GIBCs installed per switch in my network and they are all added to my DCR just fine. However, when i generate an inventory hadrware report GBICs and GBICs serial number is not showing up. Is there any special settings i need to make?

Let me know if you need additional information to help to identify the problem, i'll provide it.

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Rob

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

GBICs and SFPs and such will show up in a detailed device report.

If you create a custom report ("Reports, Report Designer, Syslog and Inventory, Create"), you can extract that information into a useful form for your purposes. You will want to use the report designer and pull out "port serial number" plus something like device name. I just did this myself and verified it will pull the SFP serial number from a device. They key fields are "Inventory Group: port" and "Attribute: port serial number"

Here is a screen shot from the report I created showing the serial number you are asking about:

Hi mklemovitch,

Yes, i did that but i don't see the "port serial number" under port attributes, see sceenshot below, tried different ways to find it but failed. Btw, i'm using LMS v. 4.0.1 if that helps. 

Apparently that attribute was added in LMS 4.1. It's not specifically called out in the release notes but it does show up in my 4.1 installation.

It may be time to upgrade - no acquisition cost if you have Smartnet coverage of your CiscoWorks installation. You will need to download the media and request a new license file though.

Ok, l'll do that and will let u know of any results. Thanks!

Hi Marvin,

Finally, I was able to upgrade my LMS from 4.0 to 4.1 and was able to extract GBIC serial nos. However, I couldn't extract inventory information for Cisco Catalyst   4507R plus E Switch. After I generate the inventory report i get this "

Number of devices that do not have inventory collected data" for 4507R plus E devices.

Any idea?

Is there a way to show the associated SFP model number (or even description) when using a custom report? I can retrieve the SFP serial number using the above method but cannot see where to find the model information in the report generator.

This information is shown in the Detailed Device report under Processor Port Interfaces.

Anyone know to get it from a custom report?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: