Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 showing IP Addresses instead of Device Names

morpheusx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

My installation is LMS 4.0 on Windows 2003 Standard Edition R2.

The problem is CiscoWorks shows IP addreses in Reports, Summary tables and basically everywhere for the

Device Name Column. Shouldn't this be the actual device host name.I have even tried setting DCR display name

in Discovery settings as  FQDN and Host name but it does not seem to work.

13 Replies 13

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

Try on your ciscowork server if you can resovle the devices.

Either try ping -a or nslookup

There is also a resolver.pl in CSCOpx\bin

perl resolver.pl addr1 [addr2]

If this work OK then in CS discovery check if the option to update the display name is checked

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Michel,

That perl script is not resolving to the hostnames. The output of e.g

perl resolver.pl 172.24.0.1 is

Hostname/IP Addresses:

172.24.0.1/172.24.0.1

Then you must get the device names in the DNS or in the local hosts file.

LMS needs to be able to resolve.

Cheers,

Michel

Do i have to do that for every single device? I have like 300 devices on my network .

Yes for every  single one

Maybe you can create a local hostfile on your LMS server?

You can export the the devicelist in topology services to a file. provide that the hostname is the SNMP systemname

Keep just the columns device name and  IP  address and reverse these.

Then you paste this in you hosts file

Cheers,

Michel

Oh i see! Problem is, how do i export the device list from the topology services? I've gone through the whole interface but i cant find such a tool, leave alone using SNMP systemname.

Just hit export

Cheers,

Michel

Yeah i tried that but my list still has IP Addresses for device names. I think the problem is either at lms level or my devices are reporting snmp  system names wrongly.

Bump.

does ping -a or resolver.pl now work?

The display name will only be updated if you run a new discover with the option "Update DCR Display Name" set to yes

Cheers,

Michel

Honestly i think i have tried every option in the DCR. I have even deleted my device repository and started all over again couple of times, each time with with varying options. My latest is as shown in the snapshot below. I'm resigned to the idea this could be a bug with lms 4.0.

Try resolve by sysname

Cheers,

Michel

I will have to go the hosts file way then. I have tried adding a few entries in the hosts file and it seems to work. Do you know of a tool  or a way i can automate harvesting all the router and switch hostnames and their corresponding IP addresses?  Perhaps an snmp script  of some sort, or just any tool.

Thanks.

For me these sort of DNS hosts file things are rather static so the export from campus suits me.

Actually I dont like it if the hosts file would change without me giving the green light.

I'm sure however if you get into perl a bit you can easily write a script that takes all IP addresses from a ciscoworks DCR export and gets the sysname using netsnmp.

Cheers,

Michel