Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 Unreachable Interface IP's

xcz504d1114
Level 4
Level 4

I'm trying to cleanup some errors in LMS 4.0, the interfaces are

up, but the IP's of the interfaces are not reachable.

How can I stop LMS from polling those specific IP addresses with ICMP, but still alert me if they are up / down?

The interfaces are used for DMVPN tunnels, and their IP's are not redistributed throughout the entire network.

Thanks,

Craig

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

If you open the device in DFM's detailed view you can select what ports, interfaces and IP addresses should be managed.

You can try to disable the management on the IP address and see if the interface is in a managed state, possebly set it to managed yourself.

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

If you open the device in DFM's detailed view you can select what ports, interfaces and IP addresses should be managed.

You can try to disable the management on the IP address and see if the interface is in a managed state, possebly set it to managed yourself.

Cheers,

Michel

Thanks for the reply Michael, that definitely gets me in the right direction! Any ideas on how to do this for 1100 devices? The first two octets are the same for all 1100 devices, maybe a manual modification directly to the datastore?

The LMS GUI wont let you do this for mutiple devices

Doing this will involve some asl scripting...

You need to speak to someone who knows EMC SMARTS asl language.

Its not something I have time for now unless you are a customer :-)

Sorry.

Michel

I totally understand! Thanks again for the help, I'll get it figured

out!

I got the SMARTS utils working pretty quick, thanks again for the direction!

Thats cool.

I just wanted to point you to the file: CSCOpx\objects\smarts\rules\discovery\custom\custom-end-post.asl that is used to make changes to the management settings, but I guess you already found your way  :-)

If you find a doc clearly describing the objects you can test on and set, please post the link here.

Cheers,

Michel

I actually found some default scripts and bat files in the CSCOpx/object/smarts/utils/ folder.

There are 4 get bat files that execute ASL scripts, then dump the output into CSCOpx/objects/smarts/local/logs/ folder.

I ran getStateIP, which created a ExpIP.txt file, then I used notepad ++ and did a find / replace using regular expressions to match on the first two octets and replace the word "MANAGED" with "UNMANAGED". Then I used the setStateIP bat file to re-imiport the txt. I also did the same thing for my dialer interfaces using the getStateIntPort bat file, which executes 2 scripts, one for switch ports and another for router interfaces.

Here is an example output and modification (hopefully helpful to someone):

expIP.txt file:

IP:IP-10.101.1.1 MANAGED_STATE:MANAGED
IP:IP-10.102.1.2 MANAGED_STATE:MANAGED
IP:IP-10.10.1.1 MANAGED_STATE:MANAGED

regular expression for find and replace in notepad ++:

search:

^(IP:IP-10\.10[1-2].*:).*

replace:

\1UNMANAGED

result:

IP:IP-10.101.1.1 MANAGED_STATE:UNMANAGED
IP:IP-10.102.1.2 MANAGED_STATE:UNMANAGED
IP:IP-10.10.1.1 MANAGED_STATE:MANAGED

I did find this doc on Cisco that might be helpful for any real scripting someone might want to do.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_network_connectivity_monitor/1.1/user/guide/PerlReferenceGuide_Cisco.pdf

Thats cool Craig,

But you still got to check if now your "interface" is still managed while the unreachable IP is unmanaged.

Also there is a rediscovery schedule that often is set to make DFM able to pickup changes on the devices, but it may revert the changes you made.

You can suspend the schedule is you know the network is not changing.

Cheers,

Michel

After I modified the database with those standard scripts, I verified it was just the IP address and not the interface that was unmanaged. Looking at the GUI it marked the IP's as "false" and did not delete them, so I wouldn't expect the rediscovery to put them back into monitoring, but I will know for sure tomorrow, as the rediscovery / collection kicks off tonight. If it does re-monitor those IP's, I will try to use the setting "exclusively_unmanaged", I'm not sure what the difference is at the moment, but I did see one IP in the database that was already set to that.

I appreciate the help Michel!

Craig

This may or may not be relevant, but I remembered this thread as I ran across the following document:

LMS 4.1 Database Schema

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.1/database_schema/dbviews_41.html

Craig