cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 upgrade to LMS 4.2 (Prime)

srego4
Level 2
Level 2

Anyone has done this direct upgrade?. Is it better to uninstall LMS 4.0 completely and then install LMS 4.2 or could I do a direct upgrade?. I've heard the db tables etc. have changed a lot and might cause problems for a direct upgrade.

Any suggestions/tips are welcome.

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Mat Barry
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.2/install/guide/overview.pdf  I think there are some guidelines on here.  You may need to do a point patch to 4.0.1 first.  

In my opinion, (personally) it would depend on how much I had configured.   In my experience, it sometimes gets flaky after a few upgrades (3.2->4.0.1>4.1>4.2).     I ended up running another box parallel and added things back gradually before switching over the IP and migrating data.    Even then, some of the devices were still misbehaving until I removed them and added them manually.

Thanks Mat. I should have mentioned, I am already on 4.0.1.

I'd agree with Mat re not wanting to do too many in-place upgrades - even if it's a supported path.

However 4.01 to 4.2 is a direct one step upgrade and should be fine. I went from 4.1 to 4.2 and added the .1-.3 patches on top of that.

For some reason the 4.2.x patches must be sequentially installed and aren't cumulative. So getting up to the current 4.2.3 will entail a couple of extra steps.

Thanks Marvin. I did read your blog on the 4.2.3 upgrade. I do intend to backup my db, export credentials, collectors etc. just in case.

A secondary question - do the net config jobs get carried over to the new version or do they all get lost?

You're welcome.

Alas I didn't have any netconfig jobs setup to confirm the answer to your secondary question.