Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.1 Issues with config backup

sreelalggbm
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

We are running LMS 4.1.

Here we are facing some problems in taking config backup.

Latest config backups are stored into E:\CSCoPX\files\rme\dcma\shadow.

I have configured daily backups as a job and I couldnt find the location.

I can see some config files on the following location E:\CSCoPX\files\rme\dcma\devfiles.

Also I have noticed that the previous config files are visible from the LMS Configuration>Configuration archive>view>version tree>

Once we select the device I can see Primary folder and Vlan folder.

Currently I created a job for daily backup Configuration>Config archive>Synchronisation > Seleect devices

Can you advice me the below

1) How to take daily backup from LMS and where it is stored ?

2) Is there any way to read the config files in VLAN folder?

3) What we need to do for not loosing the old config files?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sreelal

5 Replies 5

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sreelal,

The configuration archive Shadow directory is an image of the most recent configurations gathered by the configuration archive.

The Shadow directory contains subdirectories that represent each device class and the latest configurations supported by the configuration archive.

Each file name is DisplayName.cfg, where DisplayName is the device's Display Name as defined in the Device and Credential Repository. Each time the archive is updated, the Shadow directory is updated with the corresponding information.

The Shadow directory can be used as an alternative method to derive the latest configuration information programmatically by using scripts or other means.

The shadow dir is updated and managed only when it is enabled. You can enable/disable shadow dir from:

Admin > Collection Settings > Config > Config Archive Settings

*(This needs to stop/start the ConfigMgmtServer, which can be done from : Admin > System > Server Monitoring > Processes)

Apart from this, ciscoworks saves all the configuration archive in NMSROOT\files\rme\dcma\devfiles, which is not in a format to be interpreted easily. That is solely for ciscoworks to create its own pointer in DB for archive-device-version match up.

On your quetions :

1) How to take daily backup from LMS and where it is stored?

>There are two ways :

a. You can create a scheduled job run daily to archive device configs.

b. There is default system job, which needs to be enabled to archive configs. For more details on this check :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.1/user/guide/admin/collection.html#wp1092660

2) Is there any way to read the config files in VLAN folder?

> As stated, you may not be able to corelate the devices with config and hence it is nearly impossible to do so. For this 'shadow' directory is there.

3) What we need to do for not loosing the old config files?

> Ciscoworks does not deletes/removes anything unless configured for. You can configure LMS for Config Archive Purge Settings to enable/disable archive purge setup. You can purge configurations based on two criteria:

•Number of versions to retain. Maximum number of versions of each configuration to be retained.

•Age. Configurations older than the number of days that you specify are purged.

Archive Management will not purge the configuration files, if there are only two versions of these files in the archive.

Archived configurations that match the purge criteria that you set are purged from the system. This purge policy applies to Running configuration only.

Unless this is enable, ciscoworks will keep all the configuration archives. You can specify when to purge archived configurations. Purging archives frees disk space and keeps your archive at a manageable size. By default, the purging jobs are disabled.

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Hai,

Thanks a lot for your valuable advice.

Can you update me the where is the location of the destination folder.

Admin > Collection Settings > Config > Config Archive Settings

I can see the Archive Location:E:\CSCoPX\files\rme\dcma

I configured Maximum versions to retain setting as 5 .So it will collect the backup for 5 days?

I can see subfolders in shadow for different type of devices.

Is there any way to see config  files for different days?

I can see some config files on the following location E:\CSCoPX\files\rme\dcma\devfiles.But all devices didnot included

Is it possible to create  different folder for shadow and different folder for configarchive?

hai,

I saw some new files created on E:\CSCoPX\files\rme\dcma\difffiles folder. But these files are not readable.

File type is DFC and DFR.

If any one face this problem earlier please help me.

Thanks in advance

Sreelal

The Diff Files directory contains the difference in configuration to be used by Change Audit. RME's Change Audit records refer to these files.

After you delete the RME Change Audit records, these configuration diff files get deleted automatically.

As I said, the only option, when it comes to using archived configuration files of LMS, is the use of Shadow directory. Rest other directories would not make sense to you for any purpose, except GUI.

For some more actions on configuration, you can check CLI based utility, aka, CWCLI (cwlci config) and check if thats any helpful for you.

The cwcli config command-line tool performs the following core functions on one or more devices and the configuration archive. You can check more details from :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_resource_manager_essentials/4.3/user/guide/cwcli.html#wp1099525

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

hi all,

I have appliance LMS 4.2,

can we save archive config to another storage or  laptop/PC maybe?

thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: