cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.1 Periodic Polling

Jacob Berger
Level 2
Level 2

Does Periodic Polling also collect or or just checks for changes and then  a Periodic Collection must be run to collect the changed configs?

i ask this because i see someone has configed both to run daily on our system.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

if someone would succeed in blocking SNMP, and thus preventing change detection, the weekly collection will still pick up any changes.

The polling is done on pure SNMP, where the collection uses all protocols that are allowed in RME,(TELNET, SSH, RCP, SCP, TFTP, etc)

The SYSLOG automated actions is a part of RME that listens for SYSLOG messages from the devices. You devices must be configured to send SYSLOG to the server of course. Certain messages indicate a (potential) change and trigger a collection job.

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

No, the polling can detect a change, and when it does it will launch a collection.

I does so for configuration and for inventory collection

I usually configure and validate the three mechanisms LMS has.

• polling (daily)
  • collection (weekly)
  • automated SYSLOG action (near real time) 

Cheers,

Michel

why do you do a collection weekly if you run polling daily and as you say polling does a collection if it finds changes?

and what does automated SYSLOG action do?

thanks

if someone would succeed in blocking SNMP, and thus preventing change detection, the weekly collection will still pick up any changes.

The polling is done on pure SNMP, where the collection uses all protocols that are allowed in RME,(TELNET, SSH, RCP, SCP, TFTP, etc)

The SYSLOG automated actions is a part of RME that listens for SYSLOG messages from the devices. You devices must be configured to send SYSLOG to the server of course. Certain messages indicate a (potential) change and trigger a collection job.

Cheers,

Michel

Thanks!

You are welcome  -)

William Ryan
Level 1
Level 1

Were do you set "automated SYSLOG action (near real time)" ?

Admin -> Network -> Notification and Action Settings -> Syslog Automated Actions

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: