hgans
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

A customer has currently:

1x LMS41-100-UP-K9 (physical delivery)
5x L-LMS-4.1-100-ADD (e-delivery)

... which means 600 device License count overall in 4.1

I ordered the upgrade to PI 1.2 - LMS 4.2 via Cisco Product Upgrade Tool and now I got:

1. Installation CDs for the whole Cisco Prime Infrastructure stuff but no license enclosed.

2. 5x L-PILMS42-100-M

3. 5x licenses for the other PI 1.2 stuff

This leads me to the assumption that I now have licenses for 500 devices for LMS 4.2 instead of the 600 I should have.

Does anybody know if the 100 devices from the 4.1 base license are automatically carried over during upgrade process?

(I don't think so)

Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Herwig

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Minor upgrades within LMS 4.x do not require that a  new license file be installed. The existing license file, including all incremental licenses, should be recognized and remain valid.

If they have SAS support on their LMS, the upgrades are included at no additional cost and can be downloaded directly from cisco.com via browser or via the LMS itself.

Thanks Marvin, that would save me from unpleasant issues with the customer...

It is still confusing because there is an extra part for ordering PI 1.2 for LMS 4.x customers:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/guide_c07-714720.html

and there is also a process for ordering in the Product Upgrade Tool.

Unfortunately there is no documentation where the licensing in upgrade situation is explained properly...

Buried in the document you linked are the following (bold emphasis is my addition):

Ordering Information for Existing Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.1 Customers

1. Determine the total license count for your existing Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.1 bundle and order the equivalent number of Cisco Prime Infrastructure minor release upgrade licenses as listed in Table 3. When using the Cisco Ordering Tool enter the part number R-P-PI12-M-K9 to access the options. If you have an active SASU contract on Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.1 you can use the product upgrade tool to order Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2 at no charge.

Ordering Information for Existing Cisco Prime LMS 4.x Customers

1. Determine the total license count for your existing Cisco Prime LMS 4.x product and order the equivalent number of Cisco Prime Infrastructure minor release upgrade licenses as listed in Table 4. When using the Cisco Ordering Tool enter the part number R-PI12-M-K9 to access the options. If you have an active SAS contract on LMS 4.x you can use the product upgrade tool to order Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2 at no charge.

Also note that as of right now you probably don't want to install the PI 1.2 product. An existing LMS 4.1 customer should move to LMS 4.2 and then add the minor update to 4.2.2. It's a bit confusing without seeing the whole roadmap. Sit in on one of the weekly sessions for partners if you want lots more info. PM me if you need info on that.

Yes, that's what I also got from the document and so I tried the Product Upgrade Tool.

Unfortunately it brought me into the situation i initially tried to explain.

The tool only provided me licenses for the 5x 100 add on licenses for LMS 4.2:

for 5x L-LMS-4.1-100-ADD I now got 5x L-PILMS42-100-M = OK

But in 4.1 the base license also had device counts, in case of that customer for 100 devices:

LMS41-100-UP-K9

for this one above I got no 100 device license in PUT for 4.2, so I am missing these 100 devices for my upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2.

...as far as I understand, in 4.2 the base license is not counting on devices, you just need one for a server.

Then you add propper Lifecycle Licenses for your monitored devices.

A different approach and so I fear that the licenses from 4.1 won't work in 4.2...

OK, I understand your question better now.

I reviewed the last one of these I did - I ended up calling the TAC and they sent me the .lic file that I needed to the additional devices. There was no charge since the customer had a current SAS contract.

Thanks again for your input Marvin.

That's what I try since Friday.

Unfortunately Cisco itself has not really common understanding about licensing their Prime Infrastructure upgrade offers and processes.

So we all together running circles around the problem and I only get standard answers from Licensing and Product Upgrade departments!

I really hope to come to a solution soon to give also positive feedback here.

You're welcome. I PM'd you with some partner resources. Good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: