Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.1upgrade - licensing questions

lpiwowars
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the following upgrade scenario and I'm not sure about how licensing related details works there. There is LMS 3.x system working and I want to upgrade it to 4.1. To do this I've got two migration licences: 3.x->4.0 and 4.0->4.1. I want to install LMS 4.1 from the scratch if possible, and what is important, I will not migrate database from the 3.x version to the new installation. I want to have clean system without network elements which will be added manually later on. As I've read, backed up database contains licensing information from the version 3.x. Is this licensing related information stored in the backup a condition to usage of 3.x->4.0 upgrade licences instead of full-paid 4.0 licences in the system? In other words, can I skip the restore (which I prefer) of 3.x database and use 3.x->4.0 licences on the clean 4.0 system? My doubt raises a fact, that we are losing in such situation a track of 3.x licences in the system, and if such a procedure would be possible, it would look like a loophole in the licensing system, allowing a new 4.0 user use cheaper 3.x->4.0 licences instead of ordinary 4.0 licences.

thank you in advance for all clarifications and hints,

Best regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't have a system to confirm my assumption; but I believe that the license you install does not check for or depend on any previous version's license.

Your having the license on hand to install is evidence enough that Cisco's ordering system satisfied itself that you were eligible to purchase the upgrade as opposed to a new, more expensive, license.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't have a system to confirm my assumption; but I believe that the license you install does not check for or depend on any previous version's license.

Your having the license on hand to install is evidence enough that Cisco's ordering system satisfied itself that you were eligible to purchase the upgrade as opposed to a new, more expensive, license.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: