Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.2 backup and restore

dennis-lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

Will the backup funciton in LMS backup the archived config, syslog messages from network device, fault history, scheduled job config, report job, etc, or it just backup the device list and credential?

If I need to restore everything of LMS to a new machine what is the best strategy?

Thanks,

Dennis

5 Replies 5

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes the backup takes the backup of all those you mentioned above, inlcuding some of your custom settings.

The simple and best strategy is to take backup using GUI/CLI and go to other/new LMS use CLI command (restorebackup.pl) to restore the backup.

For mroe details check :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.2/user/guide/admin/server.html#wp1087791

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Hi Vinod,

Could you please tell me where do I see my device configuration backup, and how to restore the switch/router config from Cisco LMS? (default directory)

i need to see the last device(switch/router) running/startup configuration backup and i need to restore it in device if something goes wrong.

Backup/Restore of entire application will do it for all the devices in LMS DB.

When LMS is operational, there are two ways to keep the device configurations :

> Shadow Directory

The configuration archive Shadow directory is an image of the most recent configurations gathered by the configuration archive. The Shadow directory contains subdirectories that represent each device class and the latest configurations supported by the configuration archive. Each file name is DeviceName.cfg, as defined in the Device and Credential Repository. Each time the archive is updated, the Shadow directory is updated with the corresponding information. The Shadow directory can be used as an alternative method to derive the latest configuration information programmatically by using scripts or other means. For more details check :

Enabling and Disabling the Shadow Directory

> Using Config Editor

The Config Editor provides easy access to configuration files. Config Editor allows a network administrator with the appropriate security privileges to edit a configuration file that exists in the configuration archive. The Configuration Management application stores the current and a user-specified number of previous versions of the configuration files for all supported Cisco devices maintained in the Inventory. It automatically tracks changes to configuration files and updates the database if a change is made. For more details, check document :

Editing and Deploying Configurations Using Config Editor

You can use any of the ways to save config and re-use when required.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them.**

Thank you Vinod - it was very helpful info.

one more info i need - LMS store backup on local disk (i guess) if we keep default backup directory for backup.

I there any way that i can take that backup and put it on FTP or some other place ?

Like in Cisco Prime Infrastructure - we take application and appliance backup and we store them on some repository which we've configured.

thanks.

Unfortunately, LMS doesn't have this option. You have to transfer manually. However, depending on the OS you use, you can either make a shell script or batch script to perform this task of copying backup files from local disk to network drive.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them.**

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco