cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.2 possibility to md5 checksum all ios images in repository?

Steven Peree
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Recently we upgraded a switch with an image from the repository in LMS. After the installation of the image it seemed corrupt.

My question now is : Can we do a MD5 checksum on all the images in the local repository to verify that all images are ok to use?

Kind regards

Steven

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I know this is a really old thread but I have a question regarding the MD5 checks.

I am using a freshly installed Prime LMS 4.2.5 and I would like to know is the LMS is checking the file checksum of the IOS copied to a router/switch to make sure it's integrity is good? Or it is still not implemented? I am asking this because I see the SNMP OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.10.1.1.4.2.1.1.3 (ciscoFlashFileChecksum) in the traffic between LMS and the devices but I don't see any evidence in LMS job about this integrity check (neither in the telnet session commands).

[Update I] Just to inform you - if you ran into the same problem:
I opened an SR with Cisco to ask them about this and a nice engineer made a thorough investigation and the result is: during a deployment job LMS 4.2.5 does MD5 verification on the image copied on the device (but from another SR I know that the Prime Infrastructure 2.2 does not do MD5 verification on the image copied on the device, only when importing the image to the repository).

[Update II] Bug for this PI problem: PI (Version 2.2 and above), while distributing image into device, validates successful image copy by validating a copy prompt from the device - so only checking the size of the image, not the MD5 hash.. https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCut63077

Waiting for a reply:

Norbert

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Philipp Kreidl
Level 1
Level 1

That would be very interesting for us too, to perform only a verify of the images saved on the device.

Is this possible?

Unfortunately, I dont see, there is such an option avaialble in LMS.

SWIM during an image upgrade performs MD5 Checksum check of the image when it is downloaded from Cisco.com directly. It also performs image size check once the image is copied to a device, to check if there was any network transfer issue. These are the image consistency checks performed by Software Management and the similar process is when you add it to repository.

There is only a manual way to check the MD5, is to click on the Image in repository to see details. There could have been a way to check it via script on all the images it has in filesystem ant backend, but SWIM is storing every image in the gz/zip compressed form. So the size & md5 value differs from CCO value in the repository.

But this is good option though, for which a PER can be filed.

SWIM is storing every image in the ".gz" compressed form. So the size & md5 value differs
from CCO values-Thanks
-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

[Dupliate]

Hi,

I know this is a really old thread but I have a question regarding the MD5 checks.

I am using a freshly installed Prime LMS 4.2.5 and I would like to know is the LMS is checking the file checksum of the IOS copied to a router/switch to make sure it's integrity is good? Or it is still not implemented? I am asking this because I see the SNMP OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.10.1.1.4.2.1.1.3 (ciscoFlashFileChecksum) in the traffic between LMS and the devices but I don't see any evidence in LMS job about this integrity check (neither in the telnet session commands).

[Update I] Just to inform you - if you ran into the same problem:
I opened an SR with Cisco to ask them about this and a nice engineer made a thorough investigation and the result is: during a deployment job LMS 4.2.5 does MD5 verification on the image copied on the device (but from another SR I know that the Prime Infrastructure 2.2 does not do MD5 verification on the image copied on the device, only when importing the image to the repository).

[Update II] Bug for this PI problem: PI (Version 2.2 and above), while distributing image into device, validates successful image copy by validating a copy prompt from the device - so only checking the size of the image, not the MD5 hash.. https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCut63077

Waiting for a reply:

Norbert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: