Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.2 to PI 2.2 Upgrade

Boon Keat Gan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We currently using LMS 4.2 and NCS 1.1. We decided to upgrade to PI 2.2 and we bought the 150 Device Upgrade License.

The part number that we bought as follow:-

R-N-PI2X-U-K9

L-N-PI2X-50-U

L-PILMS42-KIT

L-PI2X-BASE

R-PI22-SW-K9

L-PILMS42A-50-M

L-PILMS42A-100-M

L-N-PI2X-100-U

We was able to download the PI 2.2 OVA and install on VCENTER. However, when import the license from L-PILMS42-KIT. It stated Wrong UID in License File. We contact CISCO and they said we are already on PI. I really do not understand what they mean? Is that mean my purchase over 10k is useless? I cannot use the new PI 2.2 OVA? Or is there any guide to upgrade from LMS 4.2 to PI 2.2?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The quick start guides for PI 1.3 and 2.1 cover upgrading in place (or migrating to a new server) from NCS 1.1 to PI 2.1. It's a multi-step process (NCS 1.1 with the right patch level + special upgrade patch = PI 1.3.0.20 which can then upgrade to 2.1) covered in detail in those guides.

Unless you have a lot of customization you are trying to preserve, many people elect to just start over fresh, possibly just exporting your maps and devices. Think of it as like moving from Windows XP to Windows 7 to Windows 8

Moving to 2.2 from any earlier PI version requires a data backup and restore onto a new VM as the OS changed to 64-bit and database included a major upgrade. You also have to be on one of the eligible PI levels to do even that (2.1 or 1.4).

There's not direct product migration from LMS 4.2 to PI. It an entitlement to upgrade the licensed product you own with an Upgrade license SKU if you already own Prime LMS rather than any kind of in-place product upgrade.

You can export the devices from LMS into PI and as of of LMS 4.2.2 there's a built-in utility that makes exporting some of its data into PI a bit easier. (Reference) Most people who make that switch just export the devices with credentials and import them.

The LMS license file is never used on a PI installation.

Your L-PI2X-BASE, L-N-PI2X-100-U and L-N-PI2X-50-U SKUs should each have Product Authorization Key (PAK) that you can redeem in the licensing portal for a license file that will work on your PI server. Installing those three licenses will give a licensed 150 device PI 2.x server with Lifecycle licenses.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If it is possible, I strongly suggest you WAIT until May/June 2015, before you do any upgrade.  In the meantime, listen out for any new announcement regarding a new version of PI.  

That way you'll just do one upgrade instead of multiple.

Hi Leo,

We already purchased the migration license. But there is no guidance on how to move from LMS 4.2 and NCS 1.1 to PI 2.2. I am lost.

The quick start guides for PI 1.3 and 2.1 cover upgrading in place (or migrating to a new server) from NCS 1.1 to PI 2.1. It's a multi-step process (NCS 1.1 with the right patch level + special upgrade patch = PI 1.3.0.20 which can then upgrade to 2.1) covered in detail in those guides.

Unless you have a lot of customization you are trying to preserve, many people elect to just start over fresh, possibly just exporting your maps and devices. Think of it as like moving from Windows XP to Windows 7 to Windows 8

Moving to 2.2 from any earlier PI version requires a data backup and restore onto a new VM as the OS changed to 64-bit and database included a major upgrade. You also have to be on one of the eligible PI levels to do even that (2.1 or 1.4).

There's not direct product migration from LMS 4.2 to PI. It an entitlement to upgrade the licensed product you own with an Upgrade license SKU if you already own Prime LMS rather than any kind of in-place product upgrade.

You can export the devices from LMS into PI and as of of LMS 4.2.2 there's a built-in utility that makes exporting some of its data into PI a bit easier. (Reference) Most people who make that switch just export the devices with credentials and import them.

The LMS license file is never used on a PI installation.

Your L-PI2X-BASE, L-N-PI2X-100-U and L-N-PI2X-50-U SKUs should each have Product Authorization Key (PAK) that you can redeem in the licensing portal for a license file that will work on your PI server. Installing those three licenses will give a licensed 150 device PI 2.x server with Lifecycle licenses.

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for replying this thread. It really helped me alots by understanding how the product works.

As for now, I only received the L-PILMS42-KIT PAK from distributor. I shall go back to them for the rest of PAK. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco