Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4 multiserver question

STEFFEN NEUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Untill the existence of a Multi-Deployment Guide in LMS3 explaining the purpose of this feature beside only listing of config-steps in LMSv4 doc it was intended to split applications (RME. CM, HUM, IPM, DFM) across multiple LMS server to can scale to a larger overall management solution.

I want to ask, if it is possible to can use the multi server feature in LMS4 now for splitting different sets of devices across different LMS servers to can achieve a real distributed network management design?

Steffen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

When you plan to install single instances of LMS than what your customer want is possible. With Master-Slave setup the master server becomes Master DCR with all device list and their credentials, these devices propagates to slave DCRs and hence you may not be able to manage different set of devices via this. I would say install single instances and keep them running alone from each other.

I have prepared a image to display this :

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately with LMS evolution and inclusion of new feature/funtions, this feature has been removed. Many of us beleive that was a wonderful option, but is not avaiable in LMS 4.x series.

This is due to design and architectural changes in LMS and inclusion of UDM process. UDM (unified Devie Management) has removed the previous device distribution format across all modules.

Hence separation of modules is not possible, hence all the DCR Auto/Manual sync options are also removed.

FOr multiserver you can still have it and try to uncheck the functionality you don't want to use in another server, like Monitoring etc, but Inventory and config collection is default available for all instances of LMS server.

-Thanks

Vinod

Hello Vinod,

Thx for your answer. We dont want to separate the LMS modules across different servers.

We plan 3 LMS servers, each of them will manage the devices in their own location autonomously. In addition to that, the customer has the desire, that the LMS at the main location can manage all devices, also from the 2 other locations. Is this possible if you set the LMS at main location as master-DCR/SSO and this from the other 2 locations as slave-DCR/SSO?

We will use all main features of LMS4.2 exept of complete HUM, because existing CA eHealth will do this job much better.

Steffen

When you plan to install single instances of LMS than what your customer want is possible. With Master-Slave setup the master server becomes Master DCR with all device list and their credentials, these devices propagates to slave DCRs and hence you may not be able to manage different set of devices via this. I would say install single instances and keep them running alone from each other.

I have prepared a image to display this :

-Thanks

Vinod

thx, Steffen

Hi Vinod,

Recently I've upgraded LMS 4.0.1 Multi-server setup to Cisco Prime LMS 4.2. Everything went not bad

I would like to ask if you can provide some more information on multi-server setup in prime 4.2

1. How does master to slave sync of all credentials/configs/inventory done and how often. Can I see if everything is done properly

2.What happend when my master is down, will slave take up all databse. Can I see/check this?

3. Wehn I setting up backup under server setting, will it backup also slave server?

Thank's

Sergei

Dear Sergei

about the second quastion, refer to the cisco "LMS Larg Scale Deploying Guide":

""If the two servers are set up as master/slave, they will share the same copy of DCR. All changes to DCR must be

done on the master first then replicate to the slave. In case of failure:

● If the slave fails permanently, the master will continue to work.

● If the master fails permanently, the slave will continue to work, but it cannot add or discover new devices. The

slave needs to be changed back to standalone mode or promoted to be a master when joined by other slaves

to be fully functional.

● If either the master or slave fails transiently, the servers automatically recover once they get back online. ""

Hello Vinod

actually aboute distributed installation of LMS, Cisco said that you can divided the functionality in several servers:

● Inventory, configuration, and image management

● Network topology, Layer 2 services, and user tracking

● Fault management

● IP SLA performance management

and you said that sepration is not possible in LMS4, would you please explane more on this??

thanks in advanced

Yes the above mentioned features can be enabled or disabled in distributed servers, Like if you have three server you can run different apps :

Server1<------------>server2<------------->Server3

ICM+L2-UT          ICM+FM              ICM+IP SLA

In all these Invenotry and configuration management is default and common, so all the device will be managed for inventory, configuration and Image mgmt (ICM) three times.

What i mentioned for LMS 4.x in comparison to LMS 3.x is, in LMS 3.x across diffrerent apps in diffrent server we can manage different set of devices as well, where as this is not possible in LMS 4.x onwards. check following example :

Total device = 100

Device Group A = 50

Device Group B = 30

Device Group C = 20

In LMS 3.x :

100+DG A           100+DG B           100+DG C

In LMS 4.x :

100                     100                       100

So LMS 3.x can have distributed device in applications, but LMS 4.x manages all the devcies and not possible to exclude selective one.

-Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: