Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4: VLAN config fetch failing for all devices

jedavis
Level 4
Level 4

LMS 4.0.1, standalone on W2K8 R2, new install

Vlan config fetch is failing for all devices.  If I attempt to put a vlan.dat file in tftpboot and then manually copy a vlan.dat file from a device, the following is returned:

TFTP: error code 2 received - 16739

%Error opening tftp://server_name/vlan.dat (Permission denied)

The Windows application logs ont the server log this:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        CRMtftp

Date:          6/15/2011 2:07:49 PM

Event ID:      3

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      server_name

Description:

GetEffectiveRightsFromAcl failed: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

(997)

I tried restarting crmtftp, but no luck.  Any ideas what may be causing this?

-Jeff

11 Replies 11

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You're only the second customer to see this.  The other is running on VMware ESX with Windows 2003.  We have a case open with Microsoft investigating why this overlapped I/O error is occurring.  As a workaround, you can use the crmtftp.exe from LMS 3.x if you have it (copy it to NMSROOT/bin).

Please open a TAC service request using the "Open Service Request" link in the actions panel of this discussion.  When we get some info from Microsoft, it will be good to test on your server.  Additionally, you may be able to provide some data points as to determining a commonality between installations.

Well TAC gave me a copy of the old (2.x, 3.x) crmtftp.exe.  This did the trick and they closed the ticket.  I am not sure what new tricks the newer crmtftp was supposed to perform if any.  I noticed that the internal version information on both the old and the new .exe are 1.0.0.5.

We're still working with Microsoft to arrive at the root cause.  The new TFTP daemon adds more security to prevent unauthorized file access.  If you're satisfied with the 3.x binary, you can continue to use that one until we find the problem and fix it.  I'm sure we'll post a patch if one is required.

I have the same issue with a freshly installed 4.2 version now:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        CRMtftp

Date:          2/24/2012 12:30:50 PM

Event ID:      3

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      srvwienlms.nts.local

Description:

GetNamedSecurityInfo failed failed: The operation completed successfully.

(0)

I will also open a TAC case, lets see if we still have to stick with a3.x TFTP binary...

br.herwig

I wonder what is wrong with the "old" and "documented" TFTP security.

Guessing a filename on the TFTP server is not easy. And what can you do then?

Knowing what you are dealing with is important as well. What's new in TFTP land?

LMS 4.2 "fixes" the issue? OR is in 4.1 already?

Cheers,

Michel

hgans, you may have the same symptoms but it looks like there may be an different underlying cause. You are not getting the same overlapped I/O error I was.  Please post resolution when you get one.
-Jeff

This bug was fixed in LMS 4.2 (the bug is CSCts98495).  This error is different and a bit misleading.  I'm guessing something actually does fail when trying to ge tthe current security settings of the file in tftpboot.  I would check the ownership of NMSROOT and NMSROOT\tftpboot to make sure the casusers group has full control.

TAC also provided me the crmtftp.exe from 3.x and this one also works.

Additional I've checked group permissions for the directories - casusers has full control of both NMSROOT and subdir tftpboot.

Indeed, looks like I have another issue here and will provide the bug id to my engineer- lets see what he gets...

I am running into the same bug. Due to a renewed installation of lms 4.0 on windows 8 R2 and the end of the waranty period on the product, I can not open a TAC case to retreive the needed crmtftp.exe of a 3.x. Is there another way to get the crmtftp.exe file?

LMS is not supported on Windows 8, it is supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit version.

Below is the link for prerequisites that you must consider before installing LMS

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.0/install/guide/prereq.html#wp1109415

I have attached crmtftp.rar. Extract the file and copy it to NMSROOT/bin

eg: C:\Program files \CSCOpx\bin

Let me know if this resolves the issue.

Hi Srkala

Thank you very much this solved the issue. Fetch of configuration dat now is succefull.

William