Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS and VMWare

gbusson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i plan to install LMS on a VMWare windows machin. Does anybody done it ?

Any experience about it ?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Installing on VMWare is currently not supported by LMS. Also, if you install on VMWare TAC will not be able to support your install.

Dinko Mihelcic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

tested, required lots of tuning (got several process cavets at once) , slow, not recomended !!!

(starting of all processes takes 7-10 minutes)

Dinko

Sounds about on par with running LMS 2.6 on a Sunfire E250 =)

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Installed it on a VM with windows 2003 server standard, 4 GB ram. installed RME, CS & DFM.

Worked fine out of the box, except for a problem where a DFM process was not properly registered and needed to be re-registered.

Sometimes have the impression it runs better then some dedicated servers.

Cheers,

Michel

dcwalker
Level 1
Level 1

I ran it for testing on a VM with Windows Server 2003. With 800 devices it was too slow for production.

I found with 750MB of RAM all the processes seemed to start but it was sluggish. I upgraded to 1.5GB of RAM and it ran fairly well.

frankzehrer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Gilles,

i have running the LMS 2.6 on a VMWare ESX System with a Server 2003 SP1.

The used Hardware is a SUN 4200 With 16 GB RAM and 1000 GB disk space. The LMS got 4 GB RAM and in sum 60 GB disk space.

As long as you setup the LMS with the needed minimum requirements (RAM, Disk Space, etc.) it will run fine. Parallel i have running the same installation on a dedicated server in the production.

The VMWare runs as Lab Environment for testing new setting etc.

Therefore i can say the dedicated Server and the VMWare are both running fine and i cannot achive mentionable differences.

But Note: I have here a ESX Server. I am not aware of the performance of an GSX or "standard" Server!!!

So be carefull.

What i am missing in the previous posts are the technical specifications of the used VMWare Version, Hardware, ...

;-)

Best regards,

Frank

I didn't mention the VM version because all I could see was the VM I got to install LMS on.

I don't recall much more then that the host machine has got 16GB and that the customers IT was not pleased I took 4GB for one VM, but the machine needs the 4GB every once in a while.

When I have some time I may have a go a what processes are being abusive here, but it seems the VM is able to reclaim all the memory when the processes are done.

Recently had the customer on the phone. Box is running fine.

Cheers,

Michel

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee