Helpful
Replies

LMS as syslog server

anarodriguez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there!

I want to know how to make your LMS 4.1 (or 4.2) a syslog server in order to:

- save the logs (where does LMS saves them? how can I see this syslog file?)

- be sent alerts about mac changes of the endpoints (mac notifications) (how can I make the LMS to send me alerts about these changes?)

- see the reports of these changes (how can I see  this kind of report)

I already did the path: netconfig >> syslog (template) >> choose devices.

Any kind of help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ana,

LMS has a day 1 syslog support out of the box. Means as soon as LMS is installed, it is ready to serve you as a Syslog Server. Though it may not have so many features like other dedicated syslog Server, but it has important syslog related features, being syslog is among one of the hundreds of things LMS does.

All you have to do to make syslog work is to Subscribe Syslog Collector on the server from Admin > Collection Settings > Syslog and configure device to send syslog to LMS Server. For more information about setting up devices for message logging, see the Cisco IOS Software Documentation on Cisco.com. Then all you have to do is to Generate Syslog Report from LMS GUI.

On how syslog works on LMS I have prepared a basic flow detail chart. Please check the attcahed image.

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ana,

LMS has a day 1 syslog support out of the box. Means as soon as LMS is installed, it is ready to serve you as a Syslog Server. Though it may not have so many features like other dedicated syslog Server, but it has important syslog related features, being syslog is among one of the hundreds of things LMS does.

All you have to do to make syslog work is to Subscribe Syslog Collector on the server from Admin > Collection Settings > Syslog and configure device to send syslog to LMS Server. For more information about setting up devices for message logging, see the Cisco IOS Software Documentation on Cisco.com. Then all you have to do is to Generate Syslog Report from LMS GUI.

On how syslog works on LMS I have prepared a basic flow detail chart. Please check the attcahed image.

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: