Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS Installation

anigudkar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just wanted to know that can I install LMS 4.0 on a domain server.

Regards,

1 Reply 1

ngoldwat
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Here are the prerequisites for installing LMS 4.0 along with the Deployment Guide.

By domain server I assume you mean a machine that is joined to a corporate Active Directory.  This is a common scenario and it does introduce possible complications.

LMS is really designed to be a stand alone application.  That is, no other 3rd party software should be installed and no changes to the base OS need be made.

When a server running LMS is attached to a domain you then are open to Group Policy changes, Account Security issues etc.  The predominant problem surrounds the issue that there is a difference between a Domain Administrator and the Local Administrator.  Whenever you are troubleshooting you will want to be the LOCAL Administrator.  The other big issue is when the the user created when you install LMS, casuser, may have its rights diminished or set to have its password expire.  This causes some interesting problems.

The best practice if you are to join the server to a domain is to do so AFTER successfully installing LMS.  Verify functionality and then join the Domain.  In that way if things function differently you have a starting point.

Hope that helps.