Level 1

Hi,

i have installed LMS application onas follows;

Server 1:DFM and CM (DCR Server)

Server 2:RME (DCR Slave)

Server 3:IPM (DCR Slave)

Server 4:CV. (DCR Slave)

There are the issues:

1. There`re more than 3,000 devices in the network,but it can only discover less than 30% of it.

2.There are several duplicates of the devices that in the DCR Master and also the devices managed by RME.

3. IPM is not managing any device despite the fact that it can see the devices from the DCR master.

4.CV(CiscoView) is not managing any device despite the fact that it can see the devices from the DCR master.

5. RME could not archive the configs of many of the devices.

6. Syslog alerts is not working despite the fact that RSC has been installed on Server 1 to send syslog messages to Server 2 for RME Syslog analyzer to analyse.

SNMP,Syslog and CDP have been configured on all devices.

Someone should please help me with what to do for this solution to run successfully.

Thanks in advance.

20 Replies 20

Hi,

I have done as stated above and I got the a good result just like as stated above.

Can you please advice on what next to configure/enable on each apps for LMS to work.

Thanks in advance,cheers.

On each server GUI go to Common Services -> Device and Credentials->->Group Customization and change User Defined Groups-> to "show (opick one its a personal choice) from "All Peer Ciscoworks Servers"

So now add an instance of Ciscoview to your Master server from each of your slave servers (I always use this app for this purpose as its quick)

Server-> Home Page Admin-> Aplication Registration->Register->Import from other servers-> (fill in the info for your slave server and pick Ciscoview to register)

Now you can use the device selector instance in ciscoview to see if the applications actually will have access to the contents of the DCR.

Now for the devices:

Ensure that all of your devices have CDP enabled on them. To ensure consistancy of what your system is discovering, use the following commands in global configuration mode:

cdp enable

cdp source-interface type number pick something for each type of device that works for you , it should also be the identity of the device in Ciscoworks

logging source-interface should be the same as the as the cdp source-interface

Make sure that SNMP Read and Read Write community strings for each device are configured the same as they exist in the Ciscoworks inventory.

This should take care of the simple items.

What technologies connect your devices ? Are they all local LAN ? Some across WAN links (frame-relay, ATM, Metro Ethernet, etc) ? Some techniologies do not pass CDP so you have to specify correctly configured devices in each isolated area as seed devices, you only need one for Ciscoworks to find most of the rest, it gets better the more longer it runs.

For IPM issues you must be running an IOS version that supports it and have either "ip sla enable" or "rtr enable" in thier configuratuions prior to them being put into that application. Be aware that IPM for 3.0 only supports a total of 1,000 devices per instance. IPM for 3.01 supports 5,000 devices per instance.

To make sure that syslog messages are getting to your RME server, search for the file syslog_info

Hi,

i cannot thank you enough for this insightful comments you have made.

1.All the devices have CDP enabled,though i have some non-Cisco devices too.

2.Do i need to open any port on the firewall for all the LMS apps to work?

3. Some of the devices are on LAN while some are across the WAN

4. What are the things I need to configure on each app, your comments/advice/suggestion are highly needed here, PLEASE.

Thanks for your timely reply,cheers.

1. LMS can only manage the cisco devices

2. Yes you can fin them here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.1/install/guide/prereq.html#wp1075786

Server to device, device to server are the items you need from the table.

3. Then I would add in at least one device from each remote location across the wan in your discovery.

4. Campus (or CS if you have installed the Demcember update) you need to configure your discovery with your current RO community string as well as seed devices (remember 1 from each remote across the wan area)

Thanks pal,

I deeply appreciate everything you`ve done for me on this LMS issues.

I will let you have an update on this.

Can you please let me have your e-mail address or better still send me a to sameoj@gmail.com.

I really want to know you beyond the techie thing,thanks alot,cheers.

Hi,

I have done as stated in this thread, I manually seeded in the DCR but am still getting duplicate devices. Secondly, the DCR Master cannot import the certificate of one of the three slaves,precisely DFM application. Wwhat do you think have done wrong.

If after rectifying these problems, what are the next things I need to do.

Please reply,thanks.