Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS Prime 4.2.4 - FWSM and SNMP bigger than 512 bytes

ThibaultMean
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Does anyone know how to reduce the size of the snmp request sent from LMS to FWSM so that it is below or equal to 512 bytes ?

I get a lot of these messages saying the SNMP request from LMS prime has been discarded because the size was too big (711 bytes).

Also I know there is a bug without workaround or planned fix for this but monitoring FWSM remains critical even though Cisco seems to give up on this one.

Regards,

Thibault

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If it is Health and utilization portion of LMS which is sending big SNMP packets, there is a way to control it from LMS. In order to reduce the SNMP packet size from LMS Server to device.

Please update the following properties in "NMSROOT/hum/conf/upm-snmp.properties" file:

snmp.maxVbLimit=25

snmp.reqPktSize=320

After that please restart the daemon.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is a bug in LMS. Following is the details :

CSCtj88629    SNMP packet size requests from LMS is too large.

I am not sure if LMS 4.2.4 is affected with this. Which code is running on FWSM? There is a enhancement bug on firewall/ASA devices :

CSCsl68380    ENH - Increase maximum SNMP message size to 1472 bytes per RFC 3417

This enhancement shows to be in fixed/resolved state.

-Thanks

Vinod

Hello Vinod,

Thanks for answering. The FWSM is running version 4.1(1). But I see the enhencement is for asa 5500-x not FWM.

I'm more looking into the way LMS works, when does it send packets larger then 512 bytes?

Funny, here we're dealing with cisco tools and cisco modules nothing else.

Regards,

Thibault.

As this is a LMS bug, because it is not straight forward due to design to reduce the packet size, due to various operations using different architecture to poll via SNMP.

The ASA, PIX and FWSM, all had the same issues as these products came from were acquired companies to cisco, and fix has been implemented to latest softwares, mostly version 6 onwards.

FWSM is old and is no more sold and doesnt even had a upgrade option after 4.x. So we are only left with option to modify Ciscoworks to fit FWSM for which the above mentioned bug is filed.

-Thanks

Vinod

I've worked on this a bit more and realized that the polling frequency for the FWSM linterface utilization was 15 mins.

I've lowered it to 5 mins and now it is working fine. Not sure exactly why...

Thanks,

Thibault

If it is Health and utilization portion of LMS which is sending big SNMP packets, there is a way to control it from LMS. In order to reduce the SNMP packet size from LMS Server to device.

Please update the following properties in "NMSROOT/hum/conf/upm-snmp.properties" file:

snmp.maxVbLimit=25

snmp.reqPktSize=320

After that please restart the daemon.

-Thanks

Vinod

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: