LMS Server Preventive Maintenance

kyawzawhtut
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community

I am just wondering is there any proper guideline doc for the issue such as

1. log maintenance

2. database backup

I am asking this because after running server for 4 months, server become quite slow and memory useage is nearly 4GB and DMF alerts are showing up very slowly.

Please kindly advice me!

Thank you.

Best Regards

Kyaw

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should checkout the LMS 2.5 deployment guide at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/cscowork/ps2425/prod_white_papers_list.html . This has recommendations for data backup. As for logfile rotation, we ship a tool in NMSROOT/bin called logrot.pl. This tool is documented in the Common Services online help, and has a command line menu-driven interface for configuring it.

Some of the big log files to rotate are daemons.log on Solaris and syslog.log on Windows. As a general rule, you do not want tog files to get over 2 GB in size.

Hi Jclarke

Thanks for your info. Currently syslog.log size is over 1gb. I dont know whether it effect the server performance. I gonna try to use logrot.pl.

I dont see detail explaination on how to use it. May be it is better to try out rather than reading on 2 much details.

One thing I noticed is DFM module respond is very slow. Especially when I try to see the event detail. Take me 30sec to able to see it.

Hope logrot.pl solve the problem. Thanks again.

Regards

Kyaw

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card