Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS2.5: Devices listed by Hostname

Bernardo34
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

How can i configure CiscoWorks Common Services (3.0), DFM 2.0, CampusManager 4.0, or RME 4.0 that the Devices are been listed by its HostName/DisplayName. The Switches/Routers are not listed via DNS, so discovering via DNS is not possible.

Is there a way to do this via SNMP?

5 Replies 5

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

You can try building a host file that contains the device names / ip addresses

The device names/ip addresses are all listed well in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts; when i do a ping to a devicename it works, but nslookup doesnt.

And yes, I'm using Windows2003 Server as OS...:-)

I searched th bug toolkit and I found this bug that you might be running into:

CSCsa78413 - Hostname resolution code does not work on Windows 2003

I'm running LMS2.5 on 2003 and have both etc/hosts and DNS resolution working by default (meaning I didn't do anything to make it work).

Dont think so, the switches/routers can't get the hostname via DNS because they're not listed there.

But i found a solution for that problem. Just click by CampusManager->Administration->UserTracking Admin->Aquisition the option "Get user names from hosts in NT and DNS domains" and every hostname listed in etc/hosts will be shown. The worse thing for that solution is, i have to update everytime /etc/hosts when a new host is available. I think i have to write a script to do that..:-)

Or has someone a better solution for that without using DNS?