Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS2.5: Devices listed by Hostname

Bernardo34
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

How can i configure CiscoWorks Common Services (3.0), DFM 2.0, CampusManager 4.0, or RME 4.0 that the Devices are been listed by its HostName/DisplayName. The Switches/Routers are not listed via DNS, so discovering via DNS is not possible.

Is there a way to do this via SNMP?

5 Replies 5

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

You can try building a host file that contains the device names / ip addresses

The device names/ip addresses are all listed well in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts; when i do a ping to a devicename it works, but nslookup doesnt.

And yes, I'm using Windows2003 Server as OS...:-)

I searched th bug toolkit and I found this bug that you might be running into:

CSCsa78413 - Hostname resolution code does not work on Windows 2003

I'm running LMS2.5 on 2003 and have both etc/hosts and DNS resolution working by default (meaning I didn't do anything to make it work).

Dont think so, the switches/routers can't get the hostname via DNS because they're not listed there.

But i found a solution for that problem. Just click by CampusManager->Administration->UserTracking Admin->Aquisition the option "Get user names from hosts in NT and DNS domains" and every hostname listed in etc/hosts will be shown. The worse thing for that solution is, i have to update everytime /etc/hosts when a new host is available. I think i have to write a script to do that..:-)

Or has someone a better solution for that without using DNS?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: