Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS4 collection summary

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

Dears,

I'd really like to understand better how LMS maintains this summary view.

I would expect that the succeeded + failed will give me the total number of devices managed by that application. (right?)

I found that for Config Archive the partially successful are not counted in either column, but that is still explainable.

What is harder to explain is the difference in number of managed devices between the applications.

collection sum.jpg

Differences between the applications for this customer is not that big but still where does it come from.

I expect that a device goes to all applications, so the total for Inventory Collection, Fault Discovery, Topology Data Collection, etc should be the same. 

How can these numbers differ? There is no allocation per application. Unsupported devices?

Is there still a way to see all devices managed in an application?

Can RME DFM and Campus disagree wether a device is a single entity or part of another device?

I would expect any unique IP in the DCR to be a device in each application.

Please help me to get to the bottom of this.

Cheers,

Michel

5 Replies 5

Pradeep Vaka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michel,

Few points on this

Succeeded

Indicates if the respective collection has completed successfully.

Note        In Inventory Collection, Succedded  will give the count of devices that  were successfully inventory collected at least once. In Config Archive,  partial success state devices will not be shown in Succeeded or Failed  columns.

Failed

Indicates if the respective collection has failed.

Note        In Inventory Collection, Failed will give the count of devices which are  recently failed. A device which was previously successfully inventory  collected and recently failed will have entry in the both column.  We should  not compare this with DCR device count.

If RME find an ip address part of same device, which is managed, then it will be moved to Alias device. Then the count could be different to DCR

This table give summary of different collectors results and as explained in failed device section, if a device is failed now but previously succesfull for collection, then there are entires in both succeeded and Failed.

You can get the total devices managed by LMS under Device Performance Management Summary

In version prior to LMS 4.0 there are individual application as RME, CM, DFM, which are kindof merged together from LMS 4.0 as LMS bundle

Hope this is helpful.

Regards

Pradeep

Thanks Pradeep,

I checked if the were any alias devices but there are none.

I have a customer where I see a significant difference. Only 160 devices in Campus out of a total 225 in the other applications

Can you see any reason for such a difference?

Any way to squeeze some info out of LMS regarding the distribution of devices to its applications.

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Couple of reasons I can think of are

1. Data collection failed for some devices

2. There are excluded devices in LMS 3.2 AdminData CollectionDevice ManagementExclude Devices

Regards

Pradeep

Thanks Pradeep

I though of excluded devices but this is LMS 4.01 and I can't find where I can see or manipulate this.

I would not expect to see any devices in there unless I would put them there myself.

Cheers,

Michel

So actually there are no devices that failed data collection.

And the Report -> Inventory -> Management Status ->  Excluded Devices indicates there are no excluded devices.

Puzzling this is.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: