Views
Helpful
Replies

LoadBalancing using QoS

netbeginner
Level 2
Level 2

Dear Experts, 

We need your help to configure load-balancing using QoS on Cisco ISR Routers.

We have two Internet links from different ISPs , One is connected on First Router & Other is connected on second router . Links are configured with BGP for active active load balancing for our Public IP pools.

On LAN Segment we have configured HSRP for traffic coming to Internet from downstream device having gateway as Router HSRP Virtual IP due to which all Outgoing traffic from our Network towards Internet is Taking ISP-1 link as primary. Now we would like to configure QoS (traffic priority based on services) on LAN segment with Load Balancing Mechanism for outgoing traffic (as of now) such that traffic can equally distribute between ISP-1 (Router-1) and ISP-2(Router-2) and not only use ISP-1 like now. 

please help to create configuration.

Attaching Network Connectivity for easy understanding.

Rgds

12 Replies 12

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How many HSRP groups you have?

With one group only the active router will forward traffic for the VIP.

One HSRP Group.

Anyone, please suggest

How would you do that when HSRP is in play , it will always forward out the active side , you cant forward traffic out the standby HSRP , your best off making both links active use an IGP between the router LB that way or use PBR to LB based on source destination traffic or service

Hello Mark,

I also mentioned - All traffic from downstream devices towards Internet(ANY) will land on Primary Router and from there we have to apply QoS (traffic priority) with provision for Load Balancing. For Example : Port 443 outgoing traffic towards ISP-1 , Port 22 outgoing traffic towards ISP-2(i.e. Second Router), Port-3389 towards Second Router (ISP-2), Rest Other port towards ISP-2(Second Router).

Ok i still think PBR would be a better way of redirection there like this post below , you can base the traffic on extendable ACLs using port numbers and set the next hop to be ISP 2 for matching traffic ,even if you split the QOS equally in class maps and bandwidths etc to what you need you still need to get it out to the second ISP hop

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/pbr-based-on-port-traffic-type/td-p/2160391

Ok, Thanks.

Referred the shared link and there is condition mentioned - "You need to remember to set the policy on the interface with incoming traffic", Hope here incoming interface is LAN interface only (in our case where HSRP configure).

Just get 2 Meraki MX.

No HSRP (VRRP provides redundancy between MX) and you can load balance with one click :)

Hi,

I don't think VRRP will load balance.

Any-other view on "QoS with Load Balancing" solution.

Please reply, your opinion if QoS with Load Balancing is feasible or not. Or PBR is the best solution.

VRRP is not load balancing ... Meraki uses VRRP for devices redundancy. 

I would say use PBR .. load balance with qos will not be as clean as pbr. 

Any other opinion is Welcome